 Administrative / General / 12282
Re: Bye, bye LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:33:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
In lugnet.announce, Willy Tschager wrote:
Dear friends,

after posting this message http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=3467 (the
post has been canceled in the meantime) containing the following sentence:

- snip -

This discussion venue, despite what many obviously believe, does not have an
agenda to tell you what you should think or what to believe. It's a simple
request, really: please just keep the cussing down.

[ snip ]

I ask everyone in this thread who found it necessary to intentionally disregard
the language rule to rethink their post, and request a cancel and repost. You
can get your point across without the language.

Would it surprise you if I wrote that I agree with most of what you wrote?

Not really - I think I understand pretty well your argument about language, and
have no problem with it.

The thing is that some long standing Lugnet members are getting very upset about
getting threatening email regarding what may have been a comment in passing.
This fact alone should tell you that something might be wrong with the way
things are done.

It's difficult to judge things like this accurately when the entire sequence of
events isn't presented fully. Willy's quote included a slice of one of Larry's
emails (and I don't know if Willy asked for or received Larry's permission to
post a private email), not the entire exchange. I can't and won't speak for
Larry, but I do know there was more to this exchange than what's been presented
here; Willy's post does not include the first email exchange. That can be
inferred by Willy stating that the post he linked to has since been cancelled
(at his request).

It is my belief that one slip does not equal a trend nor does one slip warrant a
timeout or even a threat of timeout.

Again, for everyone here to judge whether or not this issue is even worth the
amount of time it's sucked from various people, the entire exchange between
Willy and Larry would need to be presented (after both agreed to such).

In how many of Willy's posts has he posted a so called "bad" word?  The only one
I have read is the one that sparked this debate.  I think that instead of
immediately firing off a threatening email, the admin should have let it drop.

That would've sparked shouts of favoritism... I think consistency is vital,
especially when it comes to the so-called "worst" words.

It is my hope that with this discussion the people on both sides of
this issue will be able to compromise since the loss of a Lugnet member,
especially one as prominent as Willy, is always a bad occurrence should be
avoided with all reasonable efforts.

I agree completely.

- Kelly