 Administrative / General / 12278
Re: Bye, bye LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 20:10:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, Derek Raycraft wrote:
In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote:

Why lie about it.  Just say you are censoring, and get on with it.  I've felt
more anger from people since this policy was introduced then I've felt over any
other issue.

It's your choice to accept LUGNET's rules as censorship. It's also my choice to
disagree with that interpretation. It is what it is.

- snip -

I'm not going to stop posting here because of censorship.  In fact I might even
appreciate it.  There are lots of places I can go to read uncensored materials,
and write whatever I want without being censored.  I don't need lugnet to be one
of those places.

I do however need lugnet to stop lying about it.

There has never been any intent to lie, and I don't see where it is a lie. The
most direct analogy I can think of is being a parent in line somewhere with the
kids in tow, and a group of people five feet away are yelling profanities at
each other. As a parent, I have no problem politely asking them to please keep
it quiet in front of my children. If you consider my actions there censorship,
then yes, LUGNET policy is censorship. As I said elsewhere, you can choose
whether or not to accept that policy. In all instances, the choices are left to
you.

However, this is a side issue on the semantics of a slippery word. The real
issue, to paraphrase, is why people are asked to cancel a post if it violates
the ToS. In a nutshell: rules are rules, and LUGNET can choose to enforce the
published rules, or not. If not, then any attempt at administration is a joke.
If so, then we need to do our best to enforce those rules.

If you feel the need to be wild and unbridled, there are other venues that are
more open on this particular issue. For example, I enjoy browsing JLUG, as it is
explicitly aimed at people who accept a wider range of language use. In other
context, other language choices are acceptable to the audience.

Because of LUGNET's position as an area for ALL LEGO enthusiasts to mingle,
including kids, the language rule is being enforced. If you find that
unacceptable, there are other great venues available for that particular type of
message.

- Kelly