 Administrative / General / 1218
Re: lugnet.duplo/toolo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 17:13:55 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
It'll mean I will never be able to cross-post using slrn.  No way
I'm going to try to remember all those x.x.x.x.x.whatevers so I can
type them in manually.

Some questions:

Are you likely ever to want to crosspost between more than two of these
groups at a time?

I _rarely_ crosspost now, so I'm not sure.  Chances are low, I'm sure.

How many groups are likely to crosspost to most often, and how likely are
you to become familiar quickly with the names of these groups?

Few and fairly.

Abbreviations make typing easier/quicker but make memorization more
difficult.  In your mind, do the advantages of abbreviations (sys vs.
system, az vs. aquazone, ww vs. wildwest, etc.) outweigh the disadvantages
of not using abbreviations?

Hrmmm... not really sure, but then again, I'm the kind of person who
can remember all the IP addresses of the machines in my office and at
home (probably 30 or so, and only a few in order) but forgets the
names of the people I pass in the hall every day.

Abbreviations seem a little irrelevant, because to understand them
you'll necessarily know what they stand for.

Not everybody uses pretty little graphical clients with pull-down
menus of all the groups.

What do you do currently if/when you want to crosspost to a loc group that
you're not subscribed to or don't know the name by heart?

I simply don't do it.

Heck, I've started referring to lugnet.market.auction as .auction -

Me too.  I think we all started doing that within a week of things
starting up last fall.  :)

Yup.

I admit, this whole thing is not an easy thing to solve or put into place,
but I'm confident that it's not a can of worms either, and that the
overall long-term advantages of the new groups will far outweigh any
short-term disadvantages.

Maybe.  I'm with Larry, though - subdivision can go too far.  At that
point you'll probably see a lot of simple duplication of conversations
with crossposting...

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide