 Administrative / General / 1217
Re: Localities groups for New York City
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 11:44:07 GMT

OK then, so you're reassuring me that no one is going to scream bloody
murder if the Yonkers group were moved out of the NYC hierarchy and into the
NY State hierarchy?  :)

That is, renaming it from lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny.yon -> lugnet.loc.us.ny.yon

Fortunately, the Yonkers group has never been posted to, so renaming it
isn't much of a mess.

Should be fine.  I'll send you a $1 for each complaint  :')

An alternative question, then -- should there even *be* a group for Yonkers?
Seems *so* odd to me to give an itty bitty city its own group parallel to a
big gihugic city only 15 miles away.  Maybe Yonkers folks would be perfectly
happy posting to the regular NYC group.

Good question.  Maybe a group for SE NY State would be better

Ah yes, there are two groups there for LI.  See?--you're seeing the
principle that I mentioned earlier -- I was wicked thorough last summer and
noticed almost every detail on the maps, but now trying to go over it later,
it's all blur because I'm not in the mindset.  :)

So you're saying that the lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny.suf & lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny.nas
groups could just as well be combined into a single group
lugnet.loc.us.ny.li?

They could, but I don't think its necessary.  I'd jsut leave them as
lugnet.loc.us.ny.suf and lugnet.loc.us.ny.nas

But I would still suggest two purely technical nitpicks.  1. Either
use all county names or all borough names for the 5 boroughs of NYC.

Do you know where I can find/get a list of the county names and the
borough names?

Manhattan - New York County
The Bronx - Bronx County  (note the official name is "The Bronx")

OK, official name noted.  In spoken conversation, does anyone ever say just
"Bronx" or is it *always* "The Bronx" everywhere?  (Adding "The" on the
front will cause it to alphabetize in the T's with the current
alphabetization algorithm.)

Actually in spoken conversation, its usually "Da Bronx".   But yes it is spoken
The Bronx

Queens - Queens County
Brooklyn - Kings County
Staten Island - Richmond County

Coolness, thanks for the list.  Here's how I updated the names in the
datafiles then...

Newsgroup name           Description
-----------------------  ------------------------------------------------
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny      Greater New York City, New York, U.S.A.
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny.brx  The Bronx, Bronx County, New York, U.S.A.
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny.kin  Kings, Kings County, New York, U.S.A.
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny.man  Manhattan, New York County, New York, U.S.A.
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny.nas  Nassau, Long Island, New York, U.S.A.
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny.que  Queens, Queens County, New York, U.S.A.
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny.sta  Staten Island, Richmond County, New York, U.S.A.
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny.suf  Suffolk, Long Island, New York, U.S.A.
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny.yon  Yonkers, New York, U.S.A.

...and to summarize, then, I gather from the rest of the discussion that you
are advocating a slight reorganization like so--?

Newsgroup name           Description
-----------------------  ------------------------------------------------
lugnet.loc.us.ny.li      Long Island, New York, U.S.A.
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny      Greater New York City, New York, U.S.A.
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny.brx  The Bronx, Bronx County, New York, U.S.A.
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny.kin  Kings, Kings County, New York, U.S.A.
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny.man  Manhattan, New York County, New York, U.S.A.
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny.que  Queens, Queens County, New York, U.S.A.
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny.sta  Staten Island, Richmond County, New York, U.S.A.
lugnet.loc.us.ny.yon     Yonkers, New York, U.S.A.

Looks great, although I don't see the necessity of adding the county names for
the boroughs.  From a purely consistency standpoint, you don't do that for
other cities.  EX: Youngstown, Mahoning County, Ohio, U.S.A. - you'd drive
yourself nuts getting all the county names!