 Administrative / General / 1216
Re: not editing old news articles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 01:22:33 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

On the other hand, going in and editing the old news article by hand to
make the correction retroactively would be extremely easy -- but I choose
not to use this capability.

That was what I meant, and I think that you SHOULD go in and edit the
automated posts to get things right. Don't leave misinformation where it
can confuse. If you want to ensure that the historical record is
accurate, use revision marks or some sort of annotation so it is clear
to the reader that you made a correction.

Now, in general, it's not good to go back and change words arbitrarily,
and you definitely don't want to do it generally, as you are then
exerting editorial control, opening you to liability for content, but I
think a strong case can be made here. Those posts are what people SHOULD
be reading to understand what is going on. They are automated and they
are your own words.

(in a contrary mood today, I have disagreed with you in every single
append I did! :-) Disneyland was very trying today, too many crowds, sue
me, I'm grumpy.)

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.