 Administrative / General / 1198
Re: lugnet.duplo/toolo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 01:31:49 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, mpuschett@pol.net (Mitchell I. Puschett) writes:
Now that there are newsgroups for clones, shouldn't there be a newsgroup
for the segments of the lego universe which tend to be drowned out in the
more general discussion groups?

Yup, absolutely!  :)

My son loves duplo and I would think a group where information, pieces
and sets are exchanged would be worthwhile. As an occasional lurker, it
seems to me that many rtlers have young children who are either entering
or graduating from the duplo stage and would be interested in a flame-free
market/forum for these products. I realize this may be an idiosyncratic
opinion, but if there are groups devoted to non-lego brands in lugnet then
toolo and duplo deserve a corner as well.

I agree.  Plus PRIMO and TECHNIC and SCALA and Fabuland and lots of other
special-interest areas.  I originally had these and many others in the
initial newsgroups list last summer, but was talked out of it by several
people for fear of having too many groups.  I guess that made the most
sense at the time.

Nowadays, however, I think it's been shown in the course of the past few
months that highly focused groups (a) can actually attract traffic out of
thin air in some cases, (b) are good places to organize and archive
discussions, and (c) present neat new possibilities in the integration of
the sets-DB with the discussion areas.

So here's what we're thinkin'--

There'll probably be about 30 new groups for starters -- one for each
major programme/system/theme/category of the LEGO product line.

For example, DUPLO will probably be called lugnet.lego.duplo, and Toolo
will probably be called lugnet.lego.duplo.toolo.  The reason for the
'.lego.' before '.duplo' is (a) because it organizes all the product
categories into a single '.lego.*' hierarchy, and (b) because TLG renamed
DUPLO from just plain "DUPLO" to "LEGO DUPLO" about 2 years ago.  So
wherever "DUPLO" (or "duplo") appears in a prominent place, it should
really be prefixed by "LEGO" (or "lego").

Anyway, here's a tentative list of new groups -- not sure exactly when
these will be created, but probably within the next 1-2 weeks or so...

   lugnet.lego.dacta
   lugnet.lego.primo
   lugnet.lego.duplo
   lugnet.lego.duplo.toolo
   lugnet.lego.scala
   lugnet.lego.system
   lugnet.lego.system.basic
   lugnet.lego.system.freestyle
   lugnet.lego.system.belville
   lugnet.lego.system.town
   lugnet.lego.system.radiocontrol
   lugnet.lego.system.space
   lugnet.lego.system.castle
   lugnet.lego.system.pirates
   lugnet.lego.system.aquazone
   lugnet.lego.system.western
   lugnet.lego.system.adventurers
   lugnet.lego.system.underground
   lugnet.lego.system.starwars
   lugnet.lego.system.modelteam
   lugnet.lego.system.trains
   lugnet.lego.system.boats
   lugnet.lego.technic
   lugnet.lego.technic.slizer
   lugnet.lego.technic.cyberslam
   lugnet.lego.mindstorms
   lugnet.lego.media
   lugnet.lego.znap
   lugnet.lego.service
   lugnet.lego.lifestyle
   lugnet.lego.promo

(Some abbreviations might be made too -- for future expansion
possibilities into themes within systems...for example maybe if there is
someday justification for a Blacktron group, it might make more sense to
call Space  lugnet.lego.sys.sp  now to account for  lugnet.lego.sys.sp.bt
later.)

In the current list above, BTW, note the (undesirable) duplicity between
lugnet.lego.system.trains and lugnet.trains.  Not sure yet what to do
about that (or the LEGO MindStorms group for that matter).

One possibility is to gear these groups more toward the product line
itself (sets, collecting, analyzing, likes & dislikes, etc.) and leave
lugnet.trains as-is as more of a larger building and all-encompassing
"trains" resource.  Another possibility is to rename lugnet.trains -- but
this decision is probably best left to the denizens of the trains group.
I wouldn't want to pull the rug out from under anyone by going renaming a
group without asking, or asking people to follow two separate groups.

Anyway, those are relatively minor details for now.

Back to your suggestion about DUPLO and DUPLO Toolo -- does Toolo have a
"fan following" large enough that it should get its own subgroup of the
DUPLO group, or is it best left unaddressed?  That is, is the Toolo
subcategory of DUPLO separate enough of a "thing" to warrant its own
special group?  I think it is -- but I haven't played with it enough to
really have a sense for it.  I guess, one question is -- are there people
who own exclusively (or largely) DUPLO Toolo sets but not other DUPLO
sets?  Or -- does an ALF of Technic love Toolo but not care for regular
DUPLO?

--Todd