 Administrative / General / 1214
Re: lugnet.duplo/toolo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 00:30:01 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
Abbreviations make typing easier/quicker but make memorization more
difficult.  In your mind, do the advantages of abbreviations (sys vs.
system, az vs. aquazone, ww vs. wildwest, etc.) outweigh the disadvantages
of not using abbreviations?

This wasn't addressed to me, but I think the disadvantage of unclarity
of the abbreviations outweigh the advantage of brevity.  What I think
there are is too many levels in the hierarchy.  Does system - for
example - have to be included?

Maybe it doesn't need to be included as a physical category; maybe it could get
by as a virtual category for the sole purpose of "correct" organization of
official LEGO product programmes.

I'll have to consult the wonderful list Joshua made once upon a time (if I
can find it) to know for sure how much leeway there is.  For example,
LEGO DUPLO Trains and LEGO System Trains are parallel categories, which may
present a problem if 'system' is taken out.

But all things being equal, I sure would *like* to take out 'system' -- it's
confusing sometimes whether or not, for example, Belville and Fabuland are a
part of LEGO System (capital S) or whether they are their own systems.  (I
think TLG has flip-flopped on at least one of these at least once).

Certainly, it would be possible to have a category for LEGO System which
pointed to things which looked like subcategories but which were (technically)
sister-categories in newsgroup terms.

--Todd