 Administrative / General / 1186
Re: Triangle folks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 07:04:13 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, ffilz@mindspring.com (Frank Filz) writes:
In terms of the "triangle" area, would it be possible for people to
choose a single existing group to post to (say, Raleigh) and use that
instead of a new group?  How far are Raleigh and Winston-Salem from
each other? Looks like about 2 hours on my NC atlas page.

Winston Salem is 1.5 hrs from Raleigh, Greensboro is 1 hr. A "Triad" area
would cover Winston Salem, Greensboro, Burlington, and Asheboro.

What are the three "corners" of the NC "triangle" area?

Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill (though Cary is now actually larger than
Chapel Hill).

It would probably be reasonable to use Raleigh as the Triangle group.
Greensboro might be the best choice for a Triad group.

You say -the- Triangle group but -a- Triad group.  Maybe I'm reading into
this, but I have to ask...  I gather that there is a well-defined "The
Triangle" -- I've heard of its existence before.  How about "Triad" -- is
there a well-defined "The Triad," or is the Triad an alternative to the
Triangle?

In other words, are there two existing and well-defined triplets of cities
generally thought about?  Or are there merely two choices of ways to pick
three cities from a bunch, perhaps with overlap?

Can you set up group aliases (such that there would be a
lugnet.loc.us.nc.triangle which was the same as .ral and a .triad which was
the same as .gre?)

No, there's no (easy) way to do that.  The names of the loc.* groups also
need to stay super-short for reasons of long-term expansion and practical
reasons of typing.  I can't imagine the confusion of wondering whether
lugnet.loc.us.nc.tri refers to the Triangle or the Triad!  :)  :)

BTW, there is a lugnet.loc.us.tn.tri -- for Johnson City/Kingsport/Bristol
-- I'm told they're often thought of as a single city (called the "Tri-
City Area"), just as Minneapolis and St. Paul are quite often thought of
as a single city (called "The Twin Cities").

Advantages of state-specific groups?
- Wider focus than particular cities, but not so wide as the entire
  country
- Allow state-level discussions (maybe taxes or other government
  issues)
- Fits in better with new website reorganization

- Allows a place for people who don't feel too close to any of the major
  cities.

That's a good one -- but do you mean people who can't decide between one
city or another (because two are roughly equidistant) or do you mean
people who are so far away out in the middle of nowhere that there isn't
any logical group to post to?  In the latter case, a group would probably
be created for them.  That's what happened with the Coachella Valley area
of Southern California -- lugnet.loc.us.ca.cva.  (The Coachella Valley
area consists of Indio, Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Coachella, Desert Hot
Springs, Indian Wells, Cathedral City, Rancho Mirage, La Quinta, and a few
other miscellaneous cities in the valley.)

If I were setting up a newsgroup system like this from scratch, I would
start out with regions covering a decent area (generally 2 hrs across) with
huge cities represented by their own group. In sparsely populated areas, I
might start with just a single group for the state, and allow those
participants to suggest splitting if it was needed.

I kind of did that, except with a 1-2 hour rule of thumb in some cases.
In other cases (Montana, Texas, Alaska, Hawaii), I went with higher
temporal tolerances.

Reason that there are so many cities right out of the starting gate --
rather than adding them later:

1.  Very little need to add them later -- I think, in fact, that Coachella
    Valley is the only non-country loc group that's been added since the
    groups went live.

2.  Overkill on groups is OK; unused groups are OK.  Someday, they'll all
    get used.  Or maybe not -- but that's OK.

3.  Impossible to tell ahead of time what groups will be needed or useful.
    Would hate not to have a group in place ahead of time before it was
    needed.

4.  Didn't want to be a bottleneck to the creation of new loc groups.

5.  Didn't want to be stuck having to take the time to think about the
    creation of new loc groups every few days whenever the need arose.
    All the thought (for better or for worse) went into a single week-
    long marathon of atlas-studying in September.

It is for reason #5 that if a lugnet.loc.us.nc group were created to serve
all of NC, then groups for all states would be created at the same time as
well.  Best use of time that way.  And again, it's no harm whatsoever if a
group is created and not ever used.

--Todd