 Administrative / General / 1179
Re: Triangle folks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 02:16:53 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, ffilz@mindspring.com (Frank Filz) writes:
Karim wrote in message <36F81057.B499B319@mindspring.com>...
You know, I think we in NC would be better served if there were a
lugnet.loc.us.nc triangle (and possibly: lugnet.loc.us.nc triad).
Having seperate groups for durham and raleigh really isnt that useful,
since we're only 20 minutes away, and having a "triangle" group would
also serve Cary, Apex, Knightdale, Chapel Hill, etc.

I was going to suggest this also...  Another possibiliy, for all the traffic
these groups are getting so far, and the fact that a bunch of areas are not
well served by any of the existing groups (Morehead City, Wilmington,
Asheville, Boone to name several), would be just a single .nc group. I think
a .nc group would be worthwhile in any case (to cover those areas too far
from the Triangle, the Triad, or Charlotte.

It's too bad I didn't spend more time studying more about NC last week --
I was just in Cary over this past weekend.

OK, lemme dig out the ol' atlas...

Hmm, well, I can't really tell from my atlas how difficult it is to travel
from Asheville, NC to Knoxville, TN, but they look like they're about 2
hours apart...  Should there be groups for Asheville & Wilmington?  (Boone
& Morehead City are teensy-tiny, right?)

In terms of the "triangle" area, would it be possible for people to choose
a single existing group to post to (say, Raleigh) and use that instead of
a new group?  How far are Raleigh and Winston-Salem from each other?
Looks like about 2 hours on my NC atlas page.

What are the three "corners" of the NC "triangle" area?

For what it's worth, here's my philosophy on U.S. states -- and why there
currently aren't any state-specific groups (except for HI & AK):

With the exception of Hawaii and Alaska, all of the states in the U.S. are
really just arbitrary boundaries across the landscape -- often they follow
rivers or mountains, but it's quite often that two very closely related
cities exist just a few miles apart but technically in different states.
Consider:  Rock Island/Moline/Davenport (on the Illinois/Iowa border),
Duluth/Superior (along the Minnesota/Wisconsin border), and Kansas City
(along the Kansas/Missouri border).  Another interesting case would be
East St. Louis -- it's technically in Illinois (right along the Illinois/
Missouri border), but it surely doesn't make sense for anyone in East St.
Louis to post to an Illinois state newsgroup when there is a St. Louis,
Missouri city newsgroup.  I'll bet there are even people who work in IL
and live in MO -- happens all the time in NY/NJ, right?

Now, certainly, states such as Texas, Montana, Florida, and others have
their own state cultures, which might dictate separate newsgroups for
them, but how close in character/culture really are two cities like, for
instance, Lubbock and Austin?  Or Miami and Pensacola?

I think the question of creating a new lugnet.loc.us.nc group is really a
larger question as to whether or not to create state-specific groups for
all states (not just for one state).

I suppose there must be local things worth discussing that are state-
specific?  Like local government/current events and stuff?  Thoughts on
that?

Advantages of state-specific groups?
  - Wider focus than particular cities, but not so wide as the entire
    country
  - Allow state-level discussions (maybe taxes or other government issues)
  - Fits in better with new website reorganization

Disadvantages of state-specific groups?
  - Increased crossposting (maybe that's not a disadvantage?)
  - More groups to subscribe to

What about major the regions in the UK between the country level (Wales,
England, Scotland, Northern Ireland) and the city level?  In some cases,
it might make sense, but in others (London, Manchester) it'd be silly.
What about Rhode Island in the U.S.?  Ridiculous to have lugnet.loc.us.ri
and lugnet.loc.us.ri.pro with current traffic levels?

--Todd