 Administrative / General / 1183
Re: Triangle folks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 02:28:21 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.admin.general, ffilz@mindspring.com (Frank Filz) writes:
Karim wrote in message <36F81057.B499B319@mindspring.com>...
You know, I think we in NC would be better served if there were a
lugnet.loc.us.nc triangle (and possibly: lugnet.loc.us.nc triad).
Having seperate groups for durham and raleigh really isnt that useful,
since we're only 20 minutes away, and having a "triangle" group would
also serve Cary, Apex, Knightdale, Chapel Hill, etc.

I was going to suggest this also...  Another possibiliy, for all the • traffic
these groups are getting so far, and the fact that a bunch of areas are • not
well served by any of the existing groups (Morehead City, Wilmington,
Asheville, Boone to name several), would be just a single .nc group. I • think
a .nc group would be worthwhile in any case (to cover those areas too far
from the Triangle, the Triad, or Charlotte.

It's too bad I didn't spend more time studying more about NC last week --
I was just in Cary over this past weekend.

OK, lemme dig out the ol' atlas...

Hmm, well, I can't really tell from my atlas how difficult it is to travel
from Asheville, NC to Knoxville, TN, but they look like they're about 2
hours apart...  Should there be groups for Asheville & Wilmington?  (Boone
& Morehead City are teensy-tiny, right?)

According to my atlas Asheville is about 2 hrs from Knoxville, though I'm
not sure how likely people in Asheville would be to go to Knoxville.
Wilmington is about 2hrs from Raleigh, should be less than that from
Fayetteville.

In terms of the "triangle" area, would it be possible for people to choose
a single existing group to post to (say, Raleigh) and use that instead of
a new group?  How far are Raleigh and Winston-Salem from each other?
Looks like about 2 hours on my NC atlas page.

Winston Salem is 1.5 hrs from Raleigh, Greensboro is 1 hr. A "Triad" area
would cover Winston Salem, Greensboro, Burlington, and Asheboro.

What are the three "corners" of the NC "triangle" area?

Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill (though Cary is now actually larger than
Chapel Hill).

It would probably be reasonable to use Raleigh as the Triangle group.
Greensboro might be the best choice for a Triad group.

Can you set up group aliases (such that there would be a
lugnet.loc.us.nc.triangle which was the same as .ral and a .triad which was
the same as .gre?)

Advantages of state-specific groups?
- Wider focus than particular cities, but not so wide as the entire
   country
- Allow state-level discussions (maybe taxes or other government issues)

- Fits in better with new website reorganization

   - Allows a place for people who don't feel too close to any of the major
cities.

Disadvantages of state-specific groups?
- Increased crossposting (maybe that's not a disadvantage?)
- More groups to subscribe to

What about major the regions in the UK between the country level (Wales,
England, Scotland, Northern Ireland) and the city level?  In some cases,
it might make sense, but in others (London, Manchester) it'd be silly.
What about Rhode Island in the U.S.?  Ridiculous to have lugnet.loc.us.ri
and lugnet.loc.us.ri.pro with current traffic levels?

If I were setting up a newsgroup system like this from scratch, I would
start out with regions covering a decent area (generally 2 hrs across) with
huge cities represented by their own group. In sparsely populated areas, I
might start with just a single group for the state, and allow those
participants to suggest splitting if it was needed.

Just some thoughts
Frank