 Administrative / General / 10550 (-20)
  bug in polls?

I get 500 internal server error on this page (URL) William R Ward bill@wards.net (URL) Verbing weirds language. --Calvin (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Meta-polling (was: Polls as propaganda devices.)

(...) Definitely multiple answers may apply, I guess I wasn't clear enough on that point. (...) One worry is that too many choices are presented here. I wonder if the last three before "other" could be a single choice. (...) Are any choices other (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Meta-polling (was: Polls as propaganda devices.)

(...) Me too. I think it's a great idea. Meta-polling seems like useful feedback for the poll conductor and for the community in general. I'd like it to be multiple-select, though, since it's possible that one or reasons more apply. How does the (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Polls as propaganda devices.

(...) Good point. The poll, however, doesn't say that LEGO has to do anything per se, just that there is or isn't a problem with the track geometry. I like your suggested mandatory/automatic addons. (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Polls as propaganda devices.

(...) Actually, I had a bit of trouble with this poll. The reason is that I am now not convinced LEGO should put resources into alternative track geometries. On the other hand, it would be real swift to have some new track geometries, so my personal (...) (22 years ago, 14-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Polls as propaganda devices.

(...) not to mention that Hebrew isn't on that list! where did you get it from?!? :) (or I might be blind, it's early) (22 years ago, 14-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Polls as propaganda devices.

(...) Well, you could include a standard quote at the bottom, similar to the one at on slashdot: (URL) Don't complain about lack of options. You've got to pick a few when you do multiple choice. Those are the breaks. * Feel free to suggest poll (...) (22 years ago, 14-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Polls as propaganda devices.

Let me preface this by saying that the polling mechanism just introduced, while it has some bumps (some of which have already been fixed, like the ability to keep a poll result anonymous, e.g. the CLSotW poll results are now anonymous so everyone go (...) (22 years ago, 14-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Trouble loading ballots for some polls

I'm not sure where to post this problem report so I'll send it here. Hopefully this is close to the right place. :) Anyway, just a heads up that when trying to access the ballot pages for some (but not all polls) I get the following error message: (...) (22 years ago, 14-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Set Guide broken

Use (URL) in Communicator, search on any set. Click on the pic to bring up the fullsize version of the Set Guide, you get a 430 Not Found. Looking at the source for 4558: <TABLE BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0><TR><TD ALIGN=RIGHT> <A (...) (22 years ago, 13-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Fixed! ($Here's the Deal$)

(...) Yep! If I use one of the machines in our house and switch the Russian localisation on (we actually have one that has it installed, we installed it for Yulia when she first got here and was sending a lot of notes back home in Cyrillic), and (...) (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Fixed! ($Here's the Deal$)

(...) One reason to use Word instead of Notepad is spell checking. The choice of font has nothing to do with the character codes, and does not affect the keyboard character map. Even if you compose the message entirely using the newsreader or the (...) (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Say it ain't so...

This is skating dangerously close to LUGNET's policy on profanity... (...) (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Going out of town.

FYI: I'm about to leave SC for MA, where my access to, and time for, LUGNET will be limited. I'll be back in exactly one week. You can still send concerns to admin@lugnet.com and one of us will help you. -Suz (22 years ago, 11-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Fixed! ($Here's the Deal$)

Cary Clark wrote: <SNIPPER!> (...) Actually, it is somewhat simple. Unless Richard uses a totally bizarre System Font, all he needs to do is compose in Notepad instead of Word (honestly, who would waste the overhead of Word on NG posts when any (...) (22 years ago, 10-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Tree Node Squares

Could we use these to denote which message has a reply? Scott A (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Fixed! ($Here's the Deal$)

In lugnet.admin.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes: ... (...) I should know better, but I can't help jumping in on this. I've written a fair amount of code that deals with character sets, so I understand the technical issue in detail. Chris Gray is (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Fixed! ($Here's the Deal$)

[snip] I'm just stepping in here as a friendly reminder that jabs at others tend to result in unwanted arguments which can quickly get out of control. I believe you've each made your feelings known on the typography issue. Perhaps it'd be wise to (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Fixed! ($Here's the Deal$)

(...) [I've manually translated the special characters to what I see.] (...) Yes, it is your mess. You *know* you are making postings that show up bad for many readers, and yet you choose to continue to post that way. (...) Its called "standards". (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Tree Node Squares

Thanks for the clarification... (...) Well if they go to the same place, is having them there (when there's no tree structure for them to be involved in) just a decorative thing, or do you envision lists of things where some of the items in the list (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.admin.general)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact