 Administrative / General / 10540
Re: Fixed! ($Here's the Deal$)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:30:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Cary Clark writes:

Even if you compose the message entirely using the newsreader or the browser
editor, it isn't easy to know which special characters will be readable by
nearly everyone if you or your localization knows how to generate those
characters

Yep!

If I use one of the machines in our house and switch the Russian
localisation on (we actually have one that has it installed, we installed it
for Yulia when she first got here and was sending a lot of notes back home
in Cyrillic), and start typing into a post box on the web, (or paste
something in from Notepad) what will appear will be gibberish to everyone
else. No easy answer.

(e.g. 'Milton Train Works™' can't be read by everyone, while '1.0
± 0.2' should be fine.)

Good example... that's why I tend to use the (tm) and (r) and (c) standins,
because everyone can read them and knows what they stand in for. I'm more
interested in universal clarity than I am in looking cool.

Downside is that some allege that you are not protected unless you use the
actual C in a circle symbol (or the raised TM or the R in a circle),
depending.... Other downside is that you have to KNOW that the characters
aren't likely to appear in every localization.