 Administrative / General / 10546
Re: Polls as propaganda devices.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:59:12 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
But I would argue that poll #3 at least covers all the possible answers,
even if bias shows through. (my bias is that there *is* a problem with the
track geometry and it needs fixing, but I admit that others may not see it
that way and have allowed for several gradations including an answer of the
form "everything is fine")

Actually, I had a bit of trouble with this poll. The reason is that I am
now not convinced LEGO should put resources into alternative track
geometries. On the other hand, it would be real swift to have some new
track geometries, so my personal hope is that one of the model
railroading manufacturers will see potential, and come out with new
track elements.

Now consider http://members.lugnet.com/polls/ballots/?n=21 ... Look
carefully at the answers. This is a much broader question, of course, but
the answer set has been constructed so that it deliberately or inadvertantly
does not cover all possible responses. There is no "none of the above", no
"TLC's current direction is fine", no "I enjoy video games, bring me more
LEGO themed games", no "juniorization is a good thing" or similar. The
author's bias shows through clearly, all answers support the position that
he has taken in the past. If you answer this poll and choose ANY answer, you
are supporting the author's case. (1) The only way not to do so is not to
answer at all.

Hmm, perhaps the polling system should add the following alternate
question which can only be answered if you don't answer the poll (each
item is a check box):

I didn't answer this poll because:
0 my answer was not present
0 it is biased
0 I think it's frivolous (1)
0 I didn't feel like it

(1) I'm specifically avoiding "stupid" or other such really derogatory
terms, but allows people to convey that they think it's a waste of time.

The last option just someone bow out without giving a reason. Probably a
couple other reasons could be proposed also, but the list should be
short.

That brings me back to "what's the point of polls?" If they're just a
mechanism to have some fun, great. But if anyone thinks that they can use
poll results to make any broad case (anything beyond "the pollees like this
set better than that set" sorts of questions, that is) I think they are
greatly mistaken, unless the poll has been constructed with some rigor. (2)
Even so it's a self selected sample set which has its own drawbacks.

One must always take polls with a grain of salt. Almost every poll is
biased, and it's user certainly is. Far too many polls are missing
necessary answers. Sampling problems always reduce the value of the
poll. Heck, even one of the least biased polls, the free market, is very
far from perfect.

Frank