 Administrative / General / 10382
Re: slow server startup
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:57:39 GMT

Dan Boger <dan@peeron.com> writes:
On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 07:29:42PM +0000, Carlo Ottolina wrote:
the server is *not* doing auth right now.
(Please, see: http://news.lugnet.com/admin/nntp/?n=1052)
This is an exerpt from my network analyzer output: (sorry for the wrapped
lines..)
As you can see, there is only one TCP stream, and *no* auth requests (port
113).

that actually proves my point... the server _is_ doing auths (I could
show you my firewall logs)... the fact that they don't get to your
firewall could explain part of the problem. I'm assuming that you get
the delay before nntp works right?

imagine this:

- you try to connect to nntp
- the server sends an auth to you
- some computer on the way (your ISP, their backbone, someone) is
  dropping the auth request
- you don't see any auth
- the server waits 90 seconds before timeing out on the auth
- nntp communication begins

that's one way of explaining things... and at this point, it fits all
the facts I have.

How about turning off the auth attempt?  With the e-mail authorization
mechanism, it is rather unnecessary...

--Bill.