 Administrative / General / 10386
Re: slow server startup
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:59:21 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Carlo Ottolina wrote:
No.

Facts:
1) I don't have any delay. (I subscribed 40 groups and it takes 3-5
   seconds to refresh them all)

just a nit - we're not talking about delay in refreshing newsgroups, but
in establishing a connection to the server to begin with. Could it be
that since you're always online you never close the connection?

2) No auth requests reach my firewall (I could show my firewall logs)
3) The firewall is just one hop away from my boundary BGP router
   (AS15365)
4) It (the BGP router) just sit on Worldcom and KPN Qwest european
   backbones.
5) I'm sure (well, almost) that Worldcom core routers don't do any
   "selective filtering".

Taking into account what you say (the server _is_ doing auths) and
what I can observe here (*no* auths reach me and I have *no* delay),
this is the only explanation that I could see:

A) "Something" on the path between lugnet.com and the Worldcom
   backbone (the preferred path between me and Pair networks) is
   *actively* responding with "port close" to the auth requests.
B) The users that are experiencing the delays are on a different path.

Still, IMHO this is a very unlikely scenario, isn't it?. What do
you think?

hmmm... I get to lugnet through bbnplanet - is that the same as
worldcom? I thought not? so B is defenitly an option...

thanks for the detective work :)

Dan