 Administrative / General / 10373
Re: slow server startup
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:31:18 GMT

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 01:22:44 GMT, Chris Gray <cg@ami-cg.GraySage.COM>
wrote:

I've noticed this for 2 or 3 weeks now, but haven't commented. When I
crank up my newsreader (gnus inside Gnu emacs) to read via NNTP from
lugnet, there is a 1 - 2 minute delay before the newsgroup list starts.
I don't see that when reading from a couple of other news servers that
I use. I'm wondering: is lugnet no longer running an NNTP server all
the time, and has to start one up when a connection is requested? This
symptom is new as of 2 - 3 weeks ago. Anyone else seeing it?

Same thing with Forté Free Agent and Windows 2k but I don't know about
other servers.

Forté says it's "Looking up server" for 20 seconds or so - used to be
instant.
/Tobbe

http://www.arnesson.nu/lotek/