 Administrative / General / 10380
Re: slow server startup
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 22:12:14 GMT

"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> wrote in message
news:20020417201416.GS6127@peeron.com...
that actually proves my point... the server _is_ doing auths (I could
show you my firewall logs)... the fact that they don't get to your
firewall could explain part of the problem. I'm assuming that you get
the delay before nntp works right?

No.

Facts:
1) I don't have any delay. (I subscribed 40 groups and it takes 3-5 seconds
to refresh them all)
2) No auth requests reach my firewall (I could show my firewall logs)
3) The firewall is just one hop away from my boundary BGP router (AS15365)
4) It (the BGP router) just sit on Worldcom and KPN Qwest european
backbones.
5) I'm sure (well, almost) that Worldcom core routers don't do any
"selective filtering".

Taking into account what you say (the server _is_ doing auths) and what I
can observe here (*no* auths reach me and I have *no* delay), this is the
only explanation that I could see:

A) "Something" on the path between lugnet.com and the Worldcom backbone (the
preferred path between me and Pair networks) is *actively* responding with
"port close" to the auth requests.
B) The users that are experiencing the delays are on a different path.

Still, IMHO this is a very unlikely scenario, isn't it?.
What do you think?

--
Cheers
Carlo