 Administrative / General / 10385
Re: slow server startup
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:49:16 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Daniel Crichton wrote:
If you're seeing auth's in your firewall log that suggests that your
news access is being proxied by something in the middle - could your
ISP be running a "transparent" NNTP proxy on their network? Then again
I guess the same could be said of mine, where my ISP could be running
a "transparent" proxy and handling the auths for me without my PC ever
seeing them. Only someone with access to packets at both your end and
the server, or my end and the server, would be able to answer that.

not likely that I have a transparent proxy at the ISP level, but it is
possible, of course. I do think it's more likely that some network is
automatically responding to all auth requests than some network sending
auth requests where there were none.

I will try to do some more research to prove one way or the other...

Dan