 Administrative / General / 10375
Re: slow server startup
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:07:51 GMT

Chris Gray wrote in message ...

I've noticed this for 2 or 3 weeks now, but haven't commented. When I
crank up my newsreader (gnus inside Gnu emacs) to read via NNTP from
lugnet, there is a 1 - 2 minute delay before the newsgroup list starts.
I don't see that when reading from a couple of other news servers that
I use. I'm wondering: is lugnet no longer running an NNTP server all
the time, and has to start one up when a connection is requested? This
symptom is new as of 2 - 3 weeks ago. Anyone else seeing it?

Several of us are seeing very slow response using NNTP, starting a few weeks
ago, and have posted about it in admin.nntp. No idea yet what the problem
might be. See these 2 threads:

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/nntp/?n=1068
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/nntp/?n=1043

Kevin
TOWN Lego Building contest! http://www.lugnet.com/~41/towncomp/2002
Hospital 2396 piece kit - only one left!
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-hosp.htm
BrickLink Lego parts store: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1
The Guild of Bricksmiths(TM): http://www.bricksmiths.com
Personal Lego Web page: