 Administrative / General / 10321
Re: a question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 22:06:30 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, David Koudys writes:
If the discussions
stay focused on the issues, and resolution is finalized by an admin, like
'After much discussion in .roundtable, we think this idea will resolve
xxxx' and the admin concurs, add it to TOS or whatever

Ooooooo, it's like a cool breeze across my sweat-beaded brow....

:-)

Carrying out discussions to resolve issues that may arise and get
these out of LUGNET.general.admin is a good thing.

You know, I don't have a magic handbook that says this is the case, but I
must say, it has been my gut feeling for a very long time.

There's something about a gang of strong-minded characters expanding with
heated argument - crowding up my already small control room. [gasp]  Almost
makes me want to shout, "Hey, you kids! get out of my yard."  ...now, would
I do that? ...NAH, of course not!

But I imagine like, Joe X simultaneously happening to post about our server
flickering on and off, and it coming out like a tiny peep, while the gang's
Peep(tm) looks like one from a microwave oven... (try it)

I don't mean to complain, it's just that, the amount of time I have for
reading LUGNET each day is limited, so putting the percolator off to the
side does seem like a good thing.

I appreciate your being receptive to the idea.

-Suz

Most business environments, and even some volunteer organizations I've been
in, follow this procedure for issues.

"Here's the problem" says CEO, "go discuss and bring me a solution"

Then the 'peons' go off, discuss, cajole, philosophize and generally try to
work out something, using circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of
each one explaining themselves... and work out a 'Ding!' (solution)

"Here you go Mr CEO.  It's a solution and we think it'll work"

THe CEO has the perrogative to take or regect or modify said solution,
'cause that's why they get paid the big bucks ;)

If the solution needs fine tuning, or re-examination in the future, throw it
back to the roundtable.

Hopefully, when the roundtable is off discussing, they can handle things
well enuf not to need guidance or input or babysitting from the big wig, but
that remains to be seen ;)

There was a quotation form the West Wing a few weeks back that hopefully
cover my last point in this idea:

Donna didn't want to go do Jury Duty for whatever reason.  Josh stopped her
at the end of the ep. and said 'Do it (jury duty), or don't do it, but if
you don't do it, you can't complain about the OJ Simpson Verdict'

What he was alluding to is that if you don't help in solving the problems,
you can't whine about the results.  Not saying everyone needs to voice their
2 coppers at the Roundtable about every single issue, but if something comes
up, and is resolved in the roundtable manner, and you didn't add to the
discussion cause you're sick of the same ol' people 'throwing their weight
around' in the discussion, then you really don't have a right to complain
about the resultant solution.  Everyone's voice *is* important, and voicing
it at the proper time, and the proper location and in a proper manner, is
what should happen.

Anywho, I'm still riding on a cloud of air in regards to Suz replying to one
of my posts :)