 Administrative / General / 10314
Re: a question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:56:14 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Paul Hartzog writes:
"It is believed that there are large numbers of LEGO enthusiasts on the
Internet who currently know about RTL but avoid it because they feel it
has become too big, too hostile, too political, too commercial, or too
ethnocentric. The LUGNET message board system will hopefully
appeal to everyone in some way or another."

This is taken from:
http://www.lugnet.com/admin/plan/

And, I may note, this hope did indeed come to pass. Many people have
preferred participating in LUGNET forums to the r.t.l. Usenet group, and
many still do.

and my question is:
How many people feel that lugnet has itself become the things
mentioned above? (big? hostile? political? commercial?)

I'm not sure if your questioning is meant as a scientific poll or a hope to
start another 50+message-long mud-puddle, but uh... either way, I'd rather
not see it happen here. Not yet at least.

You may consider this my personal request based on the fact that I won't
halt such a discussion. But, take into account the fact that steps are
currently being taken to address "things mentioned above," and the community
will have a more organized opportunity to discuss those issues in the
not-so-distant future.

Just prior, I'd like to see us create a new area for 'round tables'. If you
have thoughts/ideas on the naming and/or charter wording for such a new
group, I'd like to hear; and I think that'd be a more constructive and
appropriate topic today.

ironic, no?

no. not really.

Not to argue but, considering known sociological patterns and related
theories, our current state does not surprise me. Nor would it have when the
charter was written.

-Suz

Suzanne Rich
LUGNET Admin