 Administrative / General / 10317
Re: a question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:12:38 GMT

LUGNET Admin wrote:
Just prior, I'd like to see us create a new area for 'round tables'. If you
have thoughts/ideas on the naming and/or charter wording for such a new
group, I'd like to hear; and I think that'd be a more constructive and
appropriate topic today.

An excellent idea. How about lugnet.round-table.*

Some possible round table groups:

- .new-groups

   A place to discuss ideas for new newsgroups. True, this discussion
currently happens in .admin.general or .admin.nntp, but with a round
table area, it would be better to separate such discussion so the .admin
groups remain places for direct administrative talk (now it might be
appropriate once round table discussion has reached some consensus to
make a formal request to the admins in .admin.general, but I would
expect the admins would be following the discussion and just handle the
normalization there).

- .community

  A place to discuss community issues such as how to handle TOS
violations, things to do to improve community, etc.

- .technical

   A place to talk about technical issues about Lugnet. For example,
this would be an excellent place to discuss ideas on how to authenticate
NNTP posts. Basically a place for folks to brainstorm about ways to
improve Lugnet.

- .lego

   A place to discuss how we interact with TLC. My thought here is to
try and separate the constructive discussion out from lugnet.dear-lego.
Some consideration should be given to allowing TLC representatives to
post here, but perhaps what's also necessary is a similar group
lugnet.lego.community-round-table so that this is a place for us to
discuss amongst ourselves while l.l.crt is where we can interact with
TLC directly in discussions.

Thoughts on the charter:

- The purpose of a round table group is to facilitate constructive
discussion of the appropriate topics. To this extent, name calling,
insults, and other such non-constructive talk will be especially frowned
upon in this area.

- Cross posting to other groups is strongly discouraged, though it is
expected that occasional cross posts into lugnet.admin.general (or
similar groups) are a natural part of this process. Also, cross posting
between round table groups may be appropriate. Obviously cross posting
to a more appropriate group if discussion strays may be appropriate
however it is hoped that this will be rare.

I hope this is the kind of ideas you were looking for

Frank