 Administrative / Database / 1293
Re: Database Piece Count
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:49:34 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.admin.database, Dan Boger writes:

as for taking turns?  no, nothing that formal.  It's first come first
serve :)  whoever happens to get to a post first does it.

Well how do you prevent person A looking, fixing, person B looking,
realising it's fixed, person C looking, realising it's fixed, etc? Probably
not a big deal if there aren't TOO many people helping out.

Hm, I got it.

In fact the following proposal, assuming there is a curator named for the
admin.db group so they can edit FTX, requires NO programming or changes
within LUGNET at all!

- Set up a hotmail (yahoo, or whatever... a peeron account works fine too)
account to receive the db update/change/addition requests.
- Give the password to the mail account to all the db admins
- create the form
- put the url to the form on the admin.db front page
- when people submit changes, they get mailed to the hotmail account
- when admins have time to work on changes, they log into the account and as
they work items, they can remove them from the inbox and file them in a
different folder (this works best if it's an online folder system like yahoo
mail offers) like "changeCompleted", "rejected", "needsInfo" etc.

I'm done. Now that I know this rudimentary solution can be built with
absolutely no code and no changes to LUGNET I don't need to even think about
it any more, it's no longer an interesting problem.