 Vikings / *52 (-20)
Re: New Ldraw parts authors tool: Projector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.vikings, lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 11:34:03 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   Very nice. I don’t author parts, so I won’t be trying it out. However, I looked at your tutorial, and I have two suggestions:
  • Add “Un-Project”, where it takes a projected shape and flattens it automatically on an axis specified by the user (X, Y, or Z).
  • Automatically split pattern polygons so that they don’t cross any polygon boundaries of the template part. Use the un-projected geometry that you generated in the above as the “pre-projected” template, and do the splitting while the pattern is still flat.
The first feature above is probably pretty trivial. The second one would likely be a lot more work, but would make the tool a whole lot more powerful.

--Travis

For unproject MLCad does the job. Symply select everything and set the appropriate matrix row at 0. This is perfect for triangle, quads... If you have primitives you have to later automatically fix the “all zero matrix row” using LDDP.

The pattern split program is actually a special case of a tool I consider writing for a long time. It would take two sheets of tri/quads and cut them at the intersection between the sheets. I am slowly clearing my mind about the whole process... so some day I’ll try to write it. But it is far from obvious!!!

Also if you manually build the pattern as an overlay of the original shape, you optimize it (eg avoid teeny triangles), something an automatic cut wouldn’t do.

Philo

Re: New Ldraw parts authors tool: Projector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.vikings, lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 10:32:34 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

This new tool allows easy creation of non-flat patterned LDraw parts. Create a flat pattern and stamp it on a 3D former.

Program, documentation, source code are available here.

This is great! Like Tim, I’d been thinking about writing a tool like this for a long time. Thank you very much for making this available.

Steve

Re: New Ldraw parts authors tool: Projector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.vikings, lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 08:54:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Timothy Gould wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev, Timothy Gould wrote:
   Wow. Awesome. I’ve been meaning to write something like this for ages so I’m very happy. Would it work on minifig faces too?

It should. One interesting aspect is that while photo/scan distorts the pattern, flattening the shape to put it in quad2dat does the same distortion so they compensate each other!

Philo

I was curious if it was a direct projection or an area preserving one. A nice variant might be to write an area preserving variant although that would get quite complex.

Tim

It’s a direct parallel projection. I think it’s the best since the photo (with a long focal lens) or a scan has the same projection.

Philo

Re: New Ldraw parts authors tool: Projector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.vikings, lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 08:09:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev, Timothy Gould wrote:
   Wow. Awesome. I’ve been meaning to write something like this for ages so I’m very happy. Would it work on minifig faces too?

It should. One interesting aspect is that while photo/scan distorts the pattern, flattening the shape to put it in quad2dat does the same distortion so they compensate each other!

Philo

I was curious if it was a direct projection or an area preserving one. A nice variant might be to write an area preserving variant although that would get quite complex.

Tim

Re: New Ldraw parts authors tool: Projector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.vikings, lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 07:29:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Timothy Gould wrote:
   Wow. Awesome. I’ve been meaning to write something like this for ages so I’m very happy. Would it work on minifig faces too?

It should. One interesting aspect is that while photo/scan distorts the pattern, flattening the shape to put it in quad2dat does the same distortion so they compensate each other!

Philo

Re: New Ldraw parts authors tool: Projector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.vikings, lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2008 23:21:58 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

This new tool allows easy creation of non-flat patterned LDraw parts. Create a flat pattern and stamp it on a 3D former.

Program, documentation, source code are available here.

To show the usefulness of this tool, I created the four Viking shields:

available on LDraw Parts Tracker.

Enjoy!

Philo

Wow. Awesome. I’ve been meaning to write something like this for ages so I’m very happy. Would it work on minifig faces too?

Tim

Re: New Ldraw parts authors tool: Projector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.vikings, lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2008 21:43:27 GMT

Very nice. I don’t author parts, so I won’t be trying it out. However, I looked at your tutorial, and I have two suggestions:
  • Add “Un-Project”, where it takes a projected shape and flattens it automatically on an axis specified by the user (X, Y, or Z).
  • Automatically split pattern polygons so that they don’t cross any polygon boundaries of the template part. Use the un-projected geometry that you generated in the above as the “pre-projected” template, and do the splitting while the pattern is still flat.
The first feature above is probably pretty trivial. The second one would likely be a lot more work, but would make the tool a whole lot more powerful.

--Travis

Re: New Ldraw parts authors tool: Projector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.vikings, lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2008 16:14:30 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

   This new tool allows easy creation of non-flat patterned LDraw parts. Create a flat pattern and stamp it on a 3D former.

What a clever tool. That seems like it will be very useful!

Jim

Subject:
New Ldraw parts authors tool: Projector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.vikings, lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2008 13:15:46 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

This new tool allows easy creation of non-flat patterned LDraw parts. Create a flat pattern and stamp it on a 3D former.

Program, documentation, source code are available here.

To show the usefulness of this tool, I created the four Viking shields:

available on LDraw Parts Tracker.

Enjoy!

Philo

Re: MOC Viking Settlement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.vikings
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:17:08 GMT

In lugnet.vikings, Christopher Templin wrote:
Folks,
I have attached a link to my Brickshelf page showing my newest MOC, the Viking
settlement of Stadhelm.

Christopher,

Stadhelm looks awesome, a small settlement hanging on a cold, rocky coast. yo
umake me want to get lots of Viking sets.

Thanks,

George

Subject:
MOC Viking Settlement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.vikings
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2007 03:52:57 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Folks,
I have attached a link to my Brickshelf page showing my newest MOC, the Viking
settlement of Stadhelm.

The ruler of Stadhelm, King Hrothgar has built a thriving community with several
farms, a fortress and various other buildings as well as a thriving sea coast.
Aided by Queen Freya and his wizard Alric, King Hrothgar has built a kingdom
worthy of envy from any noble lord.  Using the strength and ferocity of his
warriors, the king has made Stadhelm a feared and rich land.  Led by Princes
Thor and Rogar, the armies of the mighty Vikings explore and conquest lands near
and far.  Amassing wealth, weapons and raw goods, Stadhelm's people thrive.
Women tend crops while the men fish, repair homes and stand guard over the
settlement. Will Stadhelm prosper or fail, only time can tell what will become
of this settlement.
For images of all aspect of the settlement, go to the following link.

I welcome anyones comments or questions, please feel free to email me.  Thanks.
Christopher Templin

Re: The First Yule
Newsgroups:
lugnet.vikings
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2006 17:48:11 GMT

Very nice! I like your story telling style and the accompanying pictures are well placed as well. Thanks for sharing and God Bless,

Nathan

Subject:
The First Yule
Newsgroups:
lugnet.vikings, lugnet.fun.holiday, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 06:21:08 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Holiday Greetings!

For your seasonal pleasure...

(Follow links after moderation of the entire folder to get the whole story...)

...A little behind the scenes commentary: It’s funny what you can do with a big box of white brick, a bunch of Viking sets, and a crappy camera. I actually had this idea last year, but didn’t have enough Vikings. I almost forgot about it in time for this year’s Solstice (well okay, including time to upload, I’m and hour and 15 minutes late, my time). I had to dig the white and box-o-greenery out of my storage unit after dark on a cold night, so ironically, I know exactly how the characters in this story feel. Oh, and for those in the know, yes I did choose the character names to match the personalities of the crew...

Happy Yule!

-Hendo

Subject:
AARRRROOOOooooooooooooooo!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.vikings
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 14:15:49 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

After seeing the pilot episode to Sci-Fi’s “Amazing Screw-On Head” animated show I’ve been itching to make a werewolf. The Studios minifig version just doesn’t elicit “terrifying” to me as much as “bobblehead”, so I opted to start with the Fenris Head and go the fully-articulated route. The scale is larger than minifig - though it is close to the scale of the original Fenris Wolf. The larger scale worked for me, though, as I like my werewolves oversized!

Click the pic to link to the folder:

Unfortunately the pictures suffer from a bit of the photographing-a-black-MOC-late-on-a-Sunday-afternoon malaise. I’ll try for some brighter pictures soon.

Otherwise I’m pretty happy with the results. There’s a high level of articulation, and it’s quite sturdy. In the course of a half hour photo shoot only 1 piece popped off (left foot). It can walk around in barrel-chested humanoid mode, but looks at least as nice in traditional canine/Fenris-Wolf poses.

The one area I keep waffling on is the hind legs. From some angles and poses they look spot on to the way I intended. From others they look a little scrawny or mismatched. I suppose this is might be understandable given that my life models were greyhounds!

The feature I’m most pleased with is the articulated jaw. I managed to fit a functional mouth in the narrow Fenris head. It’s “spring-loaded”, so the jaw can be opened up and grip something, but it won’t stay open on its own. Ahh, well, I’m just happy it can bite! This was pulled off by using a pair of Technic rubber bands; one holds the jawpiece:

tight against the red glowing-eye flex tube, while another spring loads it to the closed position. It fits, it looks right, and it works.

Thoughts, questions, feedback, and suggestions are all welcome!

.s

Subject:
The SEA TRAGON
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.castle, lugnet.trains, lugnet.vikings, lugnet.build.sculpture
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2006 12:53:11 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hello all!

Announcing my 2nd TRAGON- The SEA TRAGON!!

Lurking deep under the ocean-guarding his treasure-

Treasure hunters-BEWARE-The Sea Tragon is watching and waiting…

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Long Live The Brick!

Megan

Subject:
Podagons, Tragon and clikit creatures oh my!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.animation, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.castle, lugnet.trains, lugnet.vikings
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:41:06 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hello all! This is my 1st post here in LUGNET-at last!

Here are some of my new MOCS- First the Podagon: Greeple:

More pictures of my Tragon:

Hemi STP: the racing turtle!

There are lots of other new clikiters (clikit creatures)in my main folder too. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Megs

Hope you enjoy them- Feed back on any or all of these would be great.

Long live the Brick!

Megan

Re: New Vikings Chess Set!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.vikings
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 21:13:36 GMT

In lugnet.vikings, David Eaton wrote:
   Woah, it looks like we’ll be seeing a Vikings Chess Set sometime soon-- Lego.com (says “Coming Soon on 20 Sep 2006”), and lists the pirce as “USD 49.99”. Their link doesn’t seem to work at the moment, though:

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=G577

Instead, you can find the page by searching for “chess”.

DaveE

I’m really looking forward to this set, it’s on my “must get” list (which is fairly short these days due to $$ constraints). I heard about this set earlier in the year and have been waiting for it with almost as much anticipation as the NXT (which I’m getting next week, if the stars align).

This chess set comes out two days after my birthday, so I know what’s going on my list... ;)

Kelly

Subject:
New Vikings Chess Set!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.vikings
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:42:24 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Woah, it looks like we’ll be seeing a Vikings Chess Set sometime soon-- Lego.com (says “Coming Soon on 20 Sep 2006”), and lists the pirce as “USD 49.99”. Their link doesn’t seem to work at the moment, though:

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=G577

Instead, you can find the page by searching for “chess”.

DaveE

Subject:
Viking Fortress Colour Oddity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.vikings
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 02:48:13 GMT

Hi,

I sorted a:

    7019 Viking Fortress against the Fafnir Dragon
1019 elements, 6 figures, US$70, 2005
LEGO > SYSTEM > Vikings

...and oddly, the treasure chest had an old brown base, and a new brown lid. Weird.

First time I’ve noticed a mix of old and new in a set, but also odd in that it would seem that treasure chests and treasure chest lids would be produced and sorted together - I don’t think there’s a incidence of them appearing seperately in sets, but I could be wrong.

All the other brown in the set (as far as I noticed) was new brown.

Cheers

Richie Dulin

FUT .color

Subject:
Viking's Sunset
Newsgroups:
lugnet.vikings
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 01:19:10 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Erik the Dark Red goes out in a blaze of glory...

An idea I’ve had for a while, but just haven’t got round to building... it’s not exactly an exciting building experience.

The black tiles and jumper plates look better in real life.... but I really need to track down some brown replacements...

Cheers

Richie Dulin

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact