 CAD / Development / 10849
Re: New Ldraw parts authors tool: Projector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.vikings, lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 11:34:03 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   Very nice. I don’t author parts, so I won’t be trying it out. However, I looked at your tutorial, and I have two suggestions:
  • Add “Un-Project”, where it takes a projected shape and flattens it automatically on an axis specified by the user (X, Y, or Z).
  • Automatically split pattern polygons so that they don’t cross any polygon boundaries of the template part. Use the un-projected geometry that you generated in the above as the “pre-projected” template, and do the splitting while the pattern is still flat.
The first feature above is probably pretty trivial. The second one would likely be a lot more work, but would make the tool a whole lot more powerful.

--Travis

For unproject MLCad does the job. Symply select everything and set the appropriate matrix row at 0. This is perfect for triangle, quads... If you have primitives you have to later automatically fix the “all zero matrix row” using LDDP.

The pattern split program is actually a special case of a tool I consider writing for a long time. It would take two sheets of tri/quads and cut them at the intersection between the sheets. I am slowly clearing my mind about the whole process... so some day I’ll try to write it. But it is far from obvious!!!

Also if you manually build the pattern as an overlay of the original shape, you optimize it (eg avoid teeny triangles), something an automatic cut wouldn’t do.

Philo