 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3669
3668  |  3670
Subject:
AARRRROOOOooooooooooooooo!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.vikings
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 14:15:49 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

After seeing the pilot episode to Sci-Fi’s “Amazing Screw-On Head” animated show I’ve been itching to make a werewolf. The Studios minifig version just doesn’t elicit “terrifying” to me as much as “bobblehead”, so I opted to start with the Fenris Head and go the fully-articulated route. The scale is larger than minifig - though it is close to the scale of the original Fenris Wolf. The larger scale worked for me, though, as I like my werewolves oversized!

Click the pic to link to the folder:

Unfortunately the pictures suffer from a bit of the photographing-a-black-MOC-late-on-a-Sunday-afternoon malaise. I’ll try for some brighter pictures soon.

Otherwise I’m pretty happy with the results. There’s a high level of articulation, and it’s quite sturdy. In the course of a half hour photo shoot only 1 piece popped off (left foot). It can walk around in barrel-chested humanoid mode, but looks at least as nice in traditional canine/Fenris-Wolf poses.

The one area I keep waffling on is the hind legs. From some angles and poses they look spot on to the way I intended. From others they look a little scrawny or mismatched. I suppose this is might be understandable given that my life models were greyhounds!

The feature I’m most pleased with is the articulated jaw. I managed to fit a functional mouth in the narrow Fenris head. It’s “spring-loaded”, so the jaw can be opened up and grip something, but it won’t stay open on its own. Ahh, well, I’m just happy it can bite! This was pulled off by using a pair of Technic rubber bands; one holds the jawpiece:

tight against the red glowing-eye flex tube, while another spring loads it to the closed position. It fits, it looks right, and it works.

Thoughts, questions, feedback, and suggestions are all welcome!

.s