 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3670
3669  |  3671
Subject:
LDD Train Station MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 16:25:00 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Over the weekend, I designed a LEGO train station somewhat evocative of grand European stations using LEGO Digital Designer. The station has a rounded glass canopy and is large enough for a fairly tall (~12 bricks high) train to clear. The interior has two platforms sized for 6-wide trains (but easily adapted to 8-wide).

I wanted this station to be distinctive and grand in scale, as compared to some of the more recent train stations from TLC. Grand in scale, it is. It occupies approximately a 48x64 area. It also makes use of rarer elements - the columns holding up the canopy are done in DarkRed. The interior is austere and is left to the builder to finish and customize. The station is built using all Factory bricks and can be ordered from Shop @ Home.

A second reason for doing this is the limitations imposed by LDD on huge models. LDD serves its primary purpose - younger builders wanting to make a .all set of their own design - very well. Larger creations can prove cumbersome to manipulate with the user interface and, more importantly, the program runs much more slowly when large numbers of elements are involved. This was the case here, with some 1200+ elements. Almost literally, it was hard to add much more to this model on my computer (admittedly somewhat antiquated, at 1200 Mhz, 1GB RAM).

In any case, I wanted to present my model and welcome your comments.

For scale reference, the station with another Factory MOC, an Amtrak AEM-7 locomotive.

Links to the full-size pictures on Brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=219107

Thanks! Jordan