 Trains / 26102
26101  |  26103
Subject:
One New Train in Two Liveries-- Your opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 19:02:53 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I would appreciate your feedback to help me with a decision. Not for sale...yet...an announcement and decision to be made.

Inspired by the upcoming New Mexico Rail Runner (scroll to the bottom of the page to see an artist’s illustration of the train), I have enjoyed the cooperation of the MRCoG to employ their artwork onto a model of their train which MRCoG/NMDoT employees may purchase.

Here is a picture of a real-brick-build of the Rail Runner train set.

I have also generated custom artwork showcasing a Brick Built Trains livery.

You are welcome to browse additional images in this index list.

I have created an illustrated instruction book and stickers for both train liveries.

I have also accumulated enough parts to build 6 train sets (one locomotive, one passenger car, one driving trailer passenger car; approx. 1200 pieces). One set is for MRCoG, a second is for me, and the other four I hope to sell. Sales priority is given to MRCoG/NMDoT employees. Complete ready-to-run train sets with track, motor, and speed controller total up to be $530 each.

However, I am not sure that all-- if any-- of the Rail Runner liveried sets will be purchased by MRCoG/NMDoT employees. It is with this in mind that I seek your considerate input. Sales to persons or parties other than MRCoG/NMDoT will likely require me to acquire a license from MRCoG to use and sell products bearing the Rail Runner name and artwork. I would be allowed to sell complete bricks-in-a-box train sets, instructions, and Rail Runner stickers with the acquisition of this license. But, is it worth the money? The value of this license is on the order of hundreds of dollars. I would have to increase the cost of each Rail Runner train set to reflect the cost of the license.

Does anyone like the Rail Runner livery enough to spend an additional $100 to purchase a bricks-in-a-box Rail Runner train set (total $630!)?

Does anyone like the Brick Built Trains livery enough to spend $530 to purchase a bricks-in-a-box BBT train set?

I’ve been working on this in relative isolation since mid-July, and I am to the point where I’m not exactly sure what to do next. This train community is a wonderful forum with persons passionate for our beloved hobby, and I have sincerely missed the usual freedom of exchange regarding works-in-progress and new models. I have been remiss in my participation during the last few months as I have delved so deeply into this Rail Runner project. I have been extremely pleased to lurk here and see so many wonderful new models and train show galleries-- excellent work! I sincerely respect your comments.

Thanks for browsing the images of this train project and offering your input as to a direction to take this project.

later,

James Mathis