 Trains / 26119
Re: One New Train in Two Liveries-- Your opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 18:20:06 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:

James,

   That is a great model, but I am not your target audience. I love the
set, I just can't see spending that much on a train. I say this knowing
that I have probably spent almost that much on the trains that I have
built myself, but it least it wasn't all at once :)

Yeah, I'm a little sticker-shocked right now with my purchases to get all the
parts for six complete sets!  I think a lot of us are willing to shell out a lot
of money for our own MOCs.  Different story when it comes to buying someone
else's MOC, and I humbly respect that.  Target audience, marketing, purity of
the hobby-- tricky issues.

   James, you really have a tough choice to make. Your Espresso train is
cool, but for some crazy reason or another, the real livery seems
cooler. I don't know if it is 19% cooler...

Yes, I agree, the Rail Runner is gorgeous.  I have read and heard that the
Bombardier employees at the build shop would take extended breaks from work just
to go out to the rail yard and stare at the finished/painted BiLevel Rail Runner
cars.  Even they were stunned by the livery.  The HO scale Athearn company is
making a model of the Rail Runner.  It is my understanding that this HO Rail
Runner has become the best-selling (pre-orders?) livery of these
HO Bombardier BiLevel cars.

If you could just get them
to be more flexible with their IP, afterall it's not like you are trying
to license Thomas the Train or StarWars...

Well, I suppose the IP license is the same as for me.  There is a value to the
Rail Runner IP which MRCoG has set.  Regardless of my status, that is a fixed
value, and I have to decide if it is worth it to me.  Same goes for the sales of
my brick models.  I have a price that I feel I must set to recover the costs I
put into the build.  But, the buying public has a good idea what a set like this
is worth to them.  Everyone may have a difference price threshold.  As Ben
Fleskes said, all I can do is offer the sets for sale and see if anyone is
willing to buy them.

In the end, I think your best
selling points for the model---beside that fact that it looks cool---are
the real livery and the fact that you made it. Does your name carry
enough cachet to have a signed limited edition set worth it? I mean,
your name _does_ have some serious cachet around here, I just don't know
if it translates into money :) For your sake, I hope it does.

Thanks for the well wishes.  Name - money.  It is a strange situation.  One for
which I am never comfortable.

later,

James Mathis