 Trains / 26131
26130  |  26132
Subject:
Rail Runner Update (was Re: One New Train in Two Liveries-- Your opinion)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:29:27 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:
   I would appreciate your feedback to help me with a decision. Not for sale...yet...an announcement and decision to be made.

Here is a picture of a real-brick-build of the Rail Runner train set.

   You are welcome to browse additional images in this index list.

I have created an illustrated instruction book and stickers for both train liveries.

I have also accumulated enough parts to build 6 train sets (one locomotive, one passenger car, one driving trailer passenger car; approx. 1200 pieces).

Thank you all for your input regarding the livery of Rail Runner and Brick Built Trains, the signature autograph, and target audience.

I have decided to acquire the Rail Runner license. I am currently working with MRCoG to finalize the agreement. I’m not sure how long this process will take. This license should allow me to offer for sale brick sets, instructions books, and stickers with the Rail Runner name and artwork.

Of the six sets I put together so far, I have potentially sold three (one I want to keep for myself).

Thank you for your comments, criticisms, encouragement, and support.

In general regarding the Rail Runner license:

I am wondering if this license acquisition of a brand identity is the first for an AFOL? Do the members of the LEGO Professional/Affiliate program obtain licenses if they model brand identities? What will be the consequences and benefits? In some ways I feel like I have gone “big-time”. In other ways I feel, I’m so small, our LEGO Train Hobby isn’t that big, have I opened a can of worms for all MOCs that bear a real road name or resemble a real life train?

I really wish I could source the bricks for this train in a more economical and efficient way than from my own personal collection, BrickLink vendors, and retail set purchases. Maybe acquiring the Rail Runner license is a step forward toward legitimizing the serious desire to design, build, and make available custom train sets? Well, here’s to hope that getting the license is the right decision.

I’m sure there are a lot of other questions, issues, and opinions regarding obtaining licensing agreements to model brand identities. Any thoughts?

later,

James Mathis