 Trains / 26116
Re: One New Train in Two Liveries-- Your opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 00:02:45 GMT

James Mathis wrote:
I would appreciate your feedback to help me with a decision.  Not for
sale...yet...an announcement and decision to be made.

Inspired by the upcoming <http://www.mrcog-nm.gov/Rail_Runner.htm New Mexico
Rail Runner> (scroll to the bottom of the page to see an artist's illustration
of the train), I have enjoyed the cooperation of the MRCoG to employ their
artwork onto a model of their train which MRCoG/NMDoT employees may purchase.

<<http://www.brickbuilttrains.com/rr_or_bbt/nm_rr_v6_p10_small.png>>

Here is a <http://www.brickbuilttrains.com/rr_or_bbt/nm_rr_v6_p1.jpg picture of
a real-brick-build of the Rail Runner train set>.

I have also generated custom artwork showcasing a Brick Built Trains livery.

<<http://www.brickbuilttrains.com/rr_or_bbt/bbt_espresso_v6_p3b.png>>

You are welcome to browse additional images in this
<http://www.brickbuilttrains.com/rr_or_bbt/ index list>.

I have created an illustrated instruction book and stickers for both train
liveries.

I have also accumulated enough parts to build 6 train sets (one locomotive, one
passenger car, one driving trailer passenger car; approx. 1200 pieces).  One set
is for MRCoG, a second is for me, and the other four I hope to sell.  Sales
priority is given to MRCoG/NMDoT employees.  Complete ready-to-run train sets
with track, motor, and speed controller total up to be $530 each.

However, I am not sure that all-- if any-- of the Rail Runner liveried sets will
be purchased by MRCoG/NMDoT employees.  It is with this in mind that I seek your
considerate input.  Sales to persons or parties other than MRCoG/NMDoT will
likely require me to acquire a license from MRCoG to use and sell products
bearing the Rail Runner name and artwork.  I would be allowed to sell complete
bricks-in-a-box train sets, instructions, and Rail Runner stickers with the
acquisition of this license.  But, is it worth the money?  The value of this
license is on the order of hundreds of dollars.  I would have to increase the
cost of each Rail Runner train set to reflect the cost of the license.

Does anyone like the Rail Runner livery enough to spend an additional $100 to
purchase a bricks-in-a-box Rail Runner train set (total $630!)?

Does anyone like the Brick Built Trains livery enough to spend $530 to purchase
a bricks-in-a-box BBT train set?

I've been working on this in relative isolation since mid-July, and I am to the
point where I'm not exactly sure what to do next.  This train community is a
wonderful forum with persons passionate for our beloved hobby, and I have
sincerely missed the usual freedom of exchange regarding works-in-progress and
new models.  I have been remiss in my participation during the last few months
as I have delved so deeply into this Rail Runner project. I have been extremely
pleased to lurk here and see so many wonderful new models and train show
galleries-- excellent work!  I sincerely respect your comments.

Thanks for browsing the images of this train project and offering your input as
to a direction to take this project.

later,

James Mathis

James,

   That is a great model, but I am not your target audience. I love the
set, I just can't see spending that much on a train. I say this knowing
that I have probably spent almost that much on the trains that I have
built myself, but it least it wasn't all at once :)
   James, you really have a tough choice to make. Your Espresso train is
cool, but for some crazy reason or another, the real livery seems
cooler. I don't know if it is 19% cooler... If you could just get them
to be more flexible with their IP, afterall it's not like you are trying
to license Thomas the Train or StarWars... In the end, I think your best
selling points for the model---beside that fact that it looks cool---are
the real livery and the fact that you made it. Does your name carry
enough cachet to have a signed limited edition set worth it? I mean,
your name _does_ have some serious cachet around here, I just don't know
if it translates into money :) For your sake, I hope it does.

Good luck and thanks for sharing,
Chris

--
http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/