 Trains / 26132
26131  |  26133
Subject:
Late night in the Moscow Metro
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:13:49 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi all,

Recently I’ve become quite interested (a little addicted might even be more accurate) to Russian trains and Soviet architecture. Both have their own unique traits and styles which appear pretty much nowhere outside the former Soviet Bloc.

One of the more facinating aspects of this interest was my discovery of the famous Moscow Metro. As can be seen on this site the ornateness of Moscow Metro stations makes them more like museums or stately manors than the utalitarian/modernist public transit buildings Westerners (or Capitalists if you prefer) are used to.

Here I present a small, virtual diorama (about 34x100 studs area) of a Moscow Metro station late at night. The train, returning to the depot from its terminus passes by a solitary and hunched figure keeping these beautiful stations clean.

Large images: jpg and png.

All the design in this is buildable in the brick although the ceiling is faked to speed up the rendering process. I hope one day to build a scene like this in the brick but until a magical supply of 2x2 tan tiles and tan arches appear in my hands that day may have to wait.

Please do comment and I hope you like it.

Tim

PS. For the trainheads, I will put up more pictures of the train at some point but it is an 81-717 Metro train.

PPS. For the renderheads, the final render took about 1.5 hours on a P4 2.8GHz with 1Gb RAM. Each light (except the broken one) is a small 2x2 area light source.