 Trains / 22188
Re: train width
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:52:44 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Aaron Sneary wrote:

   7 wide! Now that’s what I’ve been saying since I first heard of the how wide debate. It’s about time a real train builder came around to the truth: Trains are 7 wide and cars are 5 wide!

   Well, considering trains in the U.S. are about twice the width of the rails, and overhang the ends of the ties, I’d say the actual width should be 10 wide, with automobiles being 7 wide -- wide enough for two minifigs to sit side-by-side. But 8-wide trains seems like a good compromise, and that’s why our club builds our trains to that scale.

John is absolutely correct here. You have 2 choices upon which to gauge your scale-- the height of the minifig or the track gauge (the distance between the rails). As John mentioned, a typical US train is about 10 feet wide, and standard track gauge is 4’ 8.5”, or about 5 feet (half of train width). Since the distance between the LEGO rails is 5 studs, that would put you, as again John noted, 1 stud = 1 foot, or 10 wide. This is the true scale using LEGO track gauge. That makes a minifig about 5 feet tall, and this would be perfect, except for the unfortunate reality that the LEGO wheels are terribly small at that scale, making 10 wide trains look rather funny.

So the question becomes how far do you want to deviate from the ideal proportions (not considering the wheel size issue). 8 wide scale says that a minifig is about 6 feet tall and the track gauge is a bit wider than standard, but the wheels are about spot on in terms of size, and again as John said, it is the best compromise if you are trying to build as “realistically” as you can.

I honestly wouldn’t even bother to build 7 wide (I’m sure Ben and I will have some discussions about this at BrickFest PDX!;-) It is inferior to 8 wide, and isn’t really much better than 6 wide. 6 Wide is minifig scale and is its own thing which I enjoy viewing as well, especially when crafted by James Mathis, who has the best feel for 6 wide train building I have seen.

Having said all of that, I like to hear your reasoning, Aaron, as to why you think 7 wide is the Truth;-)

JOHN