 Trains / 22191
Re: train width
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:46:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:

snip

   I honestly wouldn’t even bother to build 7 wide (I’m sure Ben and I will have some discussions about this at BrickFest PDX!;-) It is inferior to 8 wide, and isn’t really much better than 6 wide. 6 Wide is minifig scale and is its own thing which I enjoy viewing as well, especially when crafted by James Mathis, who has the best feel for 6 wide train building I have seen.

Having said all of that, I like to hear your reasoning, Aaron, as to why you think 7 wide is the Truth;-)

JOHN

I would honestly do 8 wide if a) I had the pieces--8 wide takes up soooo many more pieces and b) if LEGO track geometry was better!!

I mean, those curves!! Grr!! I have a 6 wide model of the GESD70ACe, which is around 60-70 studs long and looks ridiculous on the curve! Sure there are those that say straight-curve-straight-curve... but that’s almost as ridiculous looking--seeing the train shimmy and shake rounding a bend!

Baah!

Rant off :)

I am so impressed with what I’ve seen of 8-wide rolling stock and locos, but on my little layout at home, it just doesn’t warrant it.

Eh, whatrya gonna do?

Dave K