 Trains / 22198
Re: train width
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:36:37 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:

(blather blather blather... as if analysing the *height of a minifig* gets you
anywhere... analyse the WIDTH, I say... then you get 12 wide as the right
answer

You're definitely on the right ... track.  I can get ... on ... board ... with
that notion.  Ugh, I'm terrible ;)

- You have to be cleverer to get stuff to work out when you work in a smaller
scale, so 6 wide builders are much cleverer than 8 wide (1)

Cleverer?  I'd take exception, but I'm currently in my thinking-man pose
contemplating complex and elegantly functional wheel articulation schemes :P

Seriously, I'd contend that building larger just means that you have to be
"cleverer" about a different set of parts.  That is, on a 6-wide you may have to
be clever about how you approximate the curve of the boiler.  On 12-wide, your
boiler curve is easier since you have more room for discretization of the curve;
instead, now you're worrying about how to approximate pipes, tubes, lever,
rails, steps and other such small details that are generally *below* the
resolution of a 6-wide.

It's all a big Mandelbrot sequence.  Items that are too small to see in 6-wide
scale are the ones that are struggled with in 12-wide scale.

Then there is the point about wheel articulations, which I'd argue *is* more
challenging as you go larger, since the curve of the track remains constant
(*sigh*).  This may very well be countered with an aspect that's more
challenging in 6-wide [1] than it is in 12-wide ... I just can't think of any ;)

1 - Or 10 wide or, gasp... 14 wide... The wider, the easier. The wider, the
less talent... oh, ya, *who* is it that builds 14 wide sometimes again? Talk
about your easy build, all it takes is a lot of parts, no talent required,
really.

Pshaw.  You've derailed.

Ugh,
-s