 Trains / 16955
Re: PNLTC Beaverton Mall Show Pics are Up!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:19:15 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Greg-

Yes, this system does allow adjacent buildings to be connected, implementing
Matt's sidewalk standard.  We've used it many times with much success, and
it's a BEAUTIFUL design.  It sure works well with a team of design/builders,
so that one person does not have the full responsibility of building and
populating an entire city/module - plus it's a fun team effort! :-)  Here is
some more precedence in some of our other galleries:

OMSI SHOW 2001 - http://www.pnltc.org/Gal_PDX_OMSI_01/gallery.html
LEGOLAND SHOW 2001 - http://www.pnltc.org/Gal_LLCA_0801/LLCA_MAIN_0801.htm.

In short we are using 2 plates in height for the curbs, and 6 studs in from
the curb for the sidewalk width.  The sidewalk will vary in it's final
location, in relation to the road, by type of roadplate you use.  Building
size and configuration are based on the "city block" dimensions you decide
to use.

Details (Per Matt Chiles):

Start with a 16 or 32 stud wide baseplate (you could also use 8 stud
for a very narrow building).  Wider also works - increments of 16
studs work best but a 8 stud increment is also fine as an 8 stud alley
goes well in any block.

A typical block make of 9 baseplates (8 edge road baseplates and a
center blank plate) will be completely and perfectly filled by a 48x48
baseplate.  In actual setups blocks are often longer by increments of
16 studs.  In actual setups blocks are rarely complete (with a back).
If you build buildings 16 studs deep instead of 32 they will work fine
on the backs of blocks too (a 16 deep building will back up to the
back of a 32 deep building).

Add a sidewalk to your baseplate (property).  A good width is 6 studs
for main streets and 4 studs for side streets.  Any width will work
and in real life every width is used.  Downtown sidewalks are usually
wider in proportion to the height of the building.  I usually build
small town scale (not more than 3 stories) - this scale works well for
this modular design system, and 6 stud wide sidewalks work well with
that size building.  Frankly, I haven't tried larger buildings, but
building in Jer's downtown format would likely work well.

Your sidewalk should cover the front of your building property, and
the side if needed (if you have a corner lot with a corner building).
Front and side sidewalks can be different widths.  The important thing
is to overhang your sidewalk 1 stud past the edge of your baseplate.
Then attach 1x plates under that edge.  Your sidewalk now appears to
be 2 plates thick when viewed from the street.  This lip will stick to
the first stud of old grey road baseplates and will overhang into the
road on all other road baseplates.

Next build a foundation.  I usually use 1 brick high.  White, grey,
dark grey and black are good foundation colors, but in real life you
will find every color.  If you are detailing the inside, build a
floor.  2x2 bricks make a great parquet floor!  Your foundation does
not have to cover your whole baseplate lot - it depends on how deep
into the lot the building goes, which varies a lot in real life,
especially in smaller buildings.  Plus it is the facade that matters
and modelers across the board selectively scale building depth (less
depth means less bricks).  Kim has built larger but very shallow
buildings using my method and they work well, especially against the
back of a layout where there is nothing behind them.

Now build your building.  Remember, the facade is most important.
Side walls can be any color, especially conidering they are often
butted up against another building.  Detail behind the building for an
alley is nice touch - in actual layouts most buildings will end up
with either track or open space behind them (as opposed to another
building).  Don't forget roof detail too, since roofs are large areas.

Good Luck! :-)

-jeremy
pnltc

In lugnet.trains, Greg Kramer writes:
On the website, with the downtown pics, there is this comment:

"We owe our thanks to our fellow club member, Matt Chiles, for designing a
brilliant modular system for town buildings".   I'm especially interested to
know if this system allows adjacent buildings by different builders, rather
than have one builder per module of a downtown.  Is it a set of club
standards or something more?

Can someone in PNLTC give some details of this system?

Thanks in advance,
Greg Kramer