 Trains / 16952
Re: PNLTC Beaverton Mall Show Pics are Up!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 19:08:54 GMT

Sorry for the delay,

Actually the whole thing just fell into place. The Beaverton Mall is a tier
2 mall, so normally there is one or two stores vacant. This was the key to
success. This could happen in a tier 1 mall but there are rarely any vacancies.

I went to the mall office during normal biz hours and introduced myself and
the club. I suggested that we can setup our layout in a vacant store to fill
the space. I also mentioned that we could be vacated within 2 or 3 days so
if they rented the space we were no obstacle. There was a PC in the office
so I had them surf over to our web site to legitimize the whole idea; a
photo album would work as well.

After a week or so I hadn't heard back so I called. We spoke about having
"OPEN HOUSE" days during several mall events (trading card shows mainly).
Next thing I knew we had the keys! BTW We didn't sign any papers, I'm not
sure how wise this is either way.

They are paying for electricity, the store stays reasonably comfortable with
out Air Conditioning, especially when the front doors are open to the mall.

Initially we thought we'd set up directly against the front window, but we
decided not to. We have a small LEGO product table that shows some of the
current product and a small display about the train specific LEGO
components. It's close to the front window. We also hung our club banners
and posted a couple pages of what this display was and who we are...

There is a reconstruction project happening at the mall this fall that most
likely will force us to vacate, that's why we'll only be there through the
summer. Now that we're in there I wish it was permanent! And who knows maybe
they'll offer us a new space. I can see us being a huge draw over X-Mass
vacations time.

SteveB
www.PNLTC.org

In lugnet.trains, Robert Powell writes:

I would recommend this setup for any of the established clubs!

Hey Steve,
Great pictures of your clubhouse! I was wondering if you could give us a
little insight on how the PNLTC was able to secure the space. I know that
mall space can be quite expensive (especially in Southern Cal) so I was
hoping to find out how you guys pulled that off.

See Ya,
Robert
SCLTC