 Trains / 16947
Re: PNLTC Beaverton Mall Show Pics are Up!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:32:15 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Todd Lehman writes:

<regarding PNLTC mall display and roller coaster>

Wow!!  I would love to get out there and see this in person!  Having just
returned from BrickFest, I'm hungry for more.  :-)

It is very cool!

right?  And PDX the airport to fly into for this?  (I've never been to
Oregon before, and everyone says is wicked beautiful.)

Just got back from PacNW myself, and it is wicked beat.  Steve Barile picked
me up from the PDX airport. After the 5th hour of being in Portland he
teased me about how I'd had a permanent plastered wide-eyed smile on my mug
ever since I got off the plane!  Very nice compared to the bleak brown
desert where I live.

Are there better
(cheaper) ways to get to Beaverton from far away? -- like, it seems I could
fly into SEA for August 3-4 for $350, or $320 with more lead-time...  Anyone
know what a bus trip from Seattle/Tacoma International to Portland is like?
MapQuest says it's about a 3-hour drive.

If you can better afford the flight into Seattle, I'd reccommend the Amtrak
Cascades Talgo trip from Seattle down to Portland.  I took that route from
Portland to Seattle (fares one-way: coach was about $22; business about $33
and you get a $3 coupon for the Bistro car).  The Bistro car offers Cascades
specific souveniers:  ball caps ($15), t-shirts ($15), travel mug ($10),
postcards, travel bag.  Be aware that that they might not have all items and
if they do they may have limited quantities or only a few sizes in t-shirts.
When I rode they only had one ball cap, two t-shirts (small and medium), and
one travel mug.  Not sure about the quantity of other items.  All items were
stored in a single small cardboard box.  The bistro service person seemed a
little startled when I asked to buy gift items, and then didn't seem to know
where the items where stored.  I rode business class. They showed a
full-length movie on the ceiling-mounted tv monitors after we got underway.
Bring your own headphones to listen to it, I think.  Otherwise expect to pay
$4(?) for a set of Amtrak provided headphones.  I think a standard headphone
plug will work in the armrest(?).  Movie was a Kevin Kostner baseball show.
I didn't mind not watching-- the scenery viewed through the large Talgo
windows was fantastic!

Todd:  I hope you can make it out to see the display at the mall in
Portland.  It's a really nice showcase.

later,
James Mathis