 Trains / 1416
Re: Train tables
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 04:23:50 GMT

john,

the secret to ascii art is to use a fixed width font (such as courier)

of course, those of us who use ie5 might have trouble viewing this ascii art
done with the 'correct' fixed width font because the #@$%&* program refuses
to display it in this font even though we have it set in our preferences.

I suppose I could cut and paste into my favorite text editor....

John Matthews

P.S. Die Microsoft!  My next box will run Linux!  I promise..

John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote in message
lol  I just saw my beautiful ascii art-- Is there a secret to keeping • stuff straight?

-John

John Neal wrote:

Mike-

At the GMLTC, we use about a 30 x45" table (= to exactly 6 large gray • baseplates)
with metal folding legs.   Our newest tables flare out to give us more • room (6"
IIRC):
l        l        l        l        l        l        l        l • l        l

l____l____l____l____l____l____l____l____l____l
l        l        l        l        l        l        l        l • l        l

l____l____l____l____l____l____l____l____l____l
                           \____l____l____l____l____l____l

So here we'd see (I hope-- not good at ascii) a normal table, the new, • slanted
transition table, and a new larger table (36 x 45) The squares are large • gray
baseplates.

I personally use 30 x 45 in my home layout as well, although I line them • up 3-by
to gain more depth.
Now, if you wanted to build a section that would be compatable with the • GMLTC's,
you'd have to build up 20 bricks high to get to ground level-- takes • 1000s of
bricks for just one section:-p

HTH,
John

Ben Fleskes wrote:

Yep, that's my design.

At a minimum, I suggest 30.25" x 60.5" for long linear runs.  When I • need extra
depth, I stack them two deep.  We (PNLTC) also have a few tables that • are ~40"
x ~80.  The larger size gives you a pretty good amount of space for a
standalone layout, but is not as easy to transport.  I like the 30x60 • since
they are easy enough to move around, yet big enough to get a layout • on.  We've
also started putting standard metal folddown legs on each table to cut • down on
our setup time at shows.

Hope this helps.

Ben Fleskes
PNLTC

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:
I was going to be building several tables for my Lego collection in • my hobby
room and was wondering how I should go about it.  I was originally • going to
make the tables 45"x45", since it was a good, large table.  I • happened to see
the Modular train table windows meta files made by Ben Fleskes that • have the
30.25"x30.25" tables.  Does everyone run these style of table at the • Lego Tran
Clubs?  If so, I feel that I, too, should run this style or something
compatible with them just in case I go to one.  If not, I would just • use it
for ideas on my own system.

Do many people use these tables and do they like them?  My main • complaint is
the lack of depth for making a large town.  This is of course offset • by the
fact that one can reach to other side without stretching a lot.

I will be making these tables in early July.  I have all my Lego • packed away
for in-laws coming over for the week of my wedding.  After I return • from the
honeymoon, I get my Lego room back and want to do it up right!  Any • feedback
and/or suggestions would be greatly welcome.

Also, is there a standardized height for split level systems?  I will • be
elevating at least one table and I was planning on 20 bricks high, as • this
will allow an elevated monorail to climb one more time and be • perfectly
positioned to ride along the ground.  I just have to make sure there • is enough
clearance underneath for a train to pass through on the main level. • I believe
Ben's table would leave 13 bricks high of clearance, as it is just • under seven
studs thick.  I may even need a diffenent table for an elevated • platform.

I also plan to build some kind of shelving storage system in the • closet for my
pieces and possibly a building/work table so that my work in progress • won't
cause traffic jams in the Lego town (still un-named), but that is a • different
matter, unless there are great ideas you want to share.

Mike