 Trains / 1413
Re: Train tables
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 03:51:28 GMT

I have given some thought to the tables as well.

I think Ben's design is a winner!  However, in planning some train layouts
(never built) I have found (and others suggested to me) that 3 baseplates
deep leaves a lot to be desired, especially if the train is incorporated in
a town plan when level crossings are desired and two deep tables are not.

I think I have a solution, although it has not been tried or tested, but hey
it ought to work!  Attach additional ~10" shelves to the table units where
extra track laying space is needed to accomodate crossings and such.  This
keeps Ben's modular approach intact, which I believe is important for
flexibility and transportation, and if done correctly allows additional
layout space.

I have been planning to build Ben's tables with my attachments, but I have
no space to put them yet!  Look for my layout (with included instructions
for my idea) in the future.  No, not soon, but sometime! :)

John Matthews
(the 'still waiting to build his own house' architect)

Ben Fleskes <benfleskes@msn.com> wrote in message
Yep, that's my design.

At a minimum, I suggest 30.25" x 60.5" for long linear runs.  When I need • extra
depth, I stack them two deep.  We (PNLTC) also have a few tables that are • ~40"
x ~80.  The larger size gives you a pretty good amount of space for a
standalone layout, but is not as easy to transport.  I like the 30x60 • since
they are easy enough to move around, yet big enough to get a layout on. • We've
also started putting standard metal folddown legs on each table to cut • down on
our setup time at shows.

Hope this helps.

Ben Fleskes
PNLTC

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:
I was going to be building several tables for my Lego collection in my • hobby
room and was wondering how I should go about it.  I was originally going • to
make the tables 45"x45", since it was a good, large table.  I happened to • see
the Modular train table windows meta files made by Ben Fleskes that have • the
30.25"x30.25" tables.  Does everyone run these style of table at the Lego • Tran
Clubs?  If so, I feel that I, too, should run this style or something
compatible with them just in case I go to one.  If not, I would just use • it
for ideas on my own system.

Do many people use these tables and do they like them?  My main complaint • is
the lack of depth for making a large town.  This is of course offset by • the
fact that one can reach to other side without stretching a lot.

I will be making these tables in early July.  I have all my Lego packed • away
for in-laws coming over for the week of my wedding.  After I return from • the
honeymoon, I get my Lego room back and want to do it up right!  Any • feedback
and/or suggestions would be greatly welcome.

Also, is there a standardized height for split level systems?  I will be
elevating at least one table and I was planning on 20 bricks high, as • this
will allow an elevated monorail to climb one more time and be perfectly
positioned to ride along the ground.  I just have to make sure there is • enough
clearance underneath for a train to pass through on the main level.  I • believe
Ben's table would leave 13 bricks high of clearance, as it is just under • seven
studs thick.  I may even need a diffenent table for an elevated platform.

I also plan to build some kind of shelving storage system in the closet • for my
pieces and possibly a building/work table so that my work in progress • won't
cause traffic jams in the Lego town (still un-named), but that is a • different
matter, unless there are great ideas you want to share.

Mike