 Trains / 1408
  Train tables

I was going to be building several tables for my Lego collection in my hobby room and was wondering how I should go about it. I was originally going to make the tables 45"x45", since it was a good, large table. I happened to see the Modular train (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train tables

Yep, that's my design. At a minimum, I suggest 30.25" x 60.5" for long linear runs. When I need extra depth, I stack them two deep. We (PNLTC) also have a few tables that are ~40" x ~80. The larger size gives you a pretty good amount of space for a (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train tables

Mike- At the GMLTC, we use about a 30 x45" table (= to exactly 6 large gray baseplates) with metal folding legs. Our newest tables flare out to give us more room (6" IIRC): ___...___ l l l l l l l l l l l____l____l____l____...____l____l l l l l l l (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp)

  Re: Train tables

I have given some thought to the tables as well. I think Ben's design is a winner! However, in planning some train layouts (never built) I have found (and others suggested to me) that 3 baseplates deep leaves a lot to be desired, especially if the (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train tables

lol I just saw my beautiful ascii art-- Is there a secret to keeping stuff straight? -John (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp)

  Re: Train tables

john, the secret to ascii art is to use a fixed width font (such as courier) of course, those of us who use ie5 might have trouble viewing this ascii art done with the 'correct' fixed width font because the #@$%&* program refuses to display it in (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp)

  Re: Train tables

John, Is there some reason to put 20 levels of bricks other than to use up all those bricks in colors nobody likes? The only thing I can think of is so that you can drop down 20 layers to make a subway, but it seems cheaper to just build a platform (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp)

  Re: Train tables

(...) More like using up all those *sizes* nobody likes. Our outer walls are always red; inner yellow. The inside is basically 2x2 towers fortifies every 5-6 rows with a layer of 2x4s. It's very sturdy:-) We *only* use 2x4s on the outer walls, but (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp)

  Re: Train tables

(...) There are two competing philosophies here... PNLTC has tables. They put their tables together and they build the layout "from scratch" each time, putting track together and buildings down, etc. onto a brown or green colored table. At least (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp)

  Re: Train tables

(...) One nit of clarification-- the module is designed to *remain* on the plywood table, and it is transported as one unit. You *could* pick up a module free of support, but that's dicey business, given how long it takes to put them together in (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp)

  Re: Train tables

Mike, My system is different than all the other. For my main tables I use 36 in deep x 48 in long. I use 36 in deep table because it allows for 3 base plates and track plus a extra 1 in of slack. Also it make for easy cuts and it just makes the math (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train tables

Maybe I'm taking this the wrong way. See comments below (...) Well, it's almost from scratch. We work on a table arrangement and a track plan for each show so we have a "schematic" to work from to ease on setup. Some of us have pre-built modules, (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp)

  Re: Train tables

It seems to me that there are two fundamental differences between the PNLTC and the GMLTC. Even though I live within I hour of the GMLTC, it would be almost impossible for me to build my own module and just show up at some of the GMLTC train shows (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp)

  Re: Train tables

(...) Actually, yes the track pops out at exactly the same place on every module, 2 studs in for the outside loop, and another 4 studs in after that for the second loop. (...) Well, they don't *have* to, it's just much easier that way. If y'all are (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp)

  Re: Train tables

(...) Naa. Neither approach is **better**. They are just different. (...) Sure. To do a PNLTC module base takes some wood, some paint, some hardware. 100 bucks at most, and that's no doubt high. Then there is the track itself, as well as the (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp)

  Re: Train tables

(...) understand the (...) *each* (...) studs in (...) John, you've got that backwards. 4 studs to the outside track, 2 studs between the tracks. (And 20 bricks + 1 plate above the baseplates! <grin>) <much more snipped> J1 (25 years ago, 6-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp)

  Re: Train tables

(...) Oops. Yeah, well, waddya expect-- I'm just a rookie...d:-) -J2 (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp)

  Re: Train tables

(...) But you still have to have an even number of modules, right? So "A" module under construction will only replace one of Conan's modules until another module can be paired with it? (25 years ago, 7-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp)

  Re: Train tables

Paul Foster wrote: > (...) Yes, unless one built some sort of "wye" module, all the modules in use must form a single closed loop (in the meta sense) to allow continuous running. (25 years ago, 7-Jun-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp)