 Trains / 1408
Subject:
Train tables
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 23:57:37 GMT

I was going to be building several tables for my Lego collection in my hobby
room and was wondering how I should go about it.  I was originally going to
make the tables 45"x45", since it was a good, large table.  I happened to see
the Modular train table windows meta files made by Ben Fleskes that have the
30.25"x30.25" tables.  Does everyone run these style of table at the Lego Tran
Clubs?  If so, I feel that I, too, should run this style or something
compatible with them just in case I go to one.  If not, I would just use it
for ideas on my own system.

Do many people use these tables and do they like them?  My main complaint is
the lack of depth for making a large town.  This is of course offset by the
fact that one can reach to other side without stretching a lot.

I will be making these tables in early July.  I have all my Lego packed away
for in-laws coming over for the week of my wedding.  After I return from the
honeymoon, I get my Lego room back and want to do it up right!  Any feedback
and/or suggestions would be greatly welcome.

Also, is there a standardized height for split level systems?  I will be
elevating at least one table and I was planning on 20 bricks high, as this
will allow an elevated monorail to climb one more time and be perfectly
positioned to ride along the ground.  I just have to make sure there is enough
clearance underneath for a train to pass through on the main level.  I believe
Ben's table would leave 13 bricks high of clearance, as it is just under seven
studs thick.  I may even need a diffenent table for an elevated platform.

I also plan to build some kind of shelving storage system in the closet for my
pieces and possibly a building/work table so that my work in progress won't
cause traffic jams in the Lego town (still un-named), but that is a different
matter, unless there are great ideas you want to share.

Mike

Re: Train tables
At a minimum, I suggest 30.25" x 60.5" for long linear runs.  When I need extra
depth, I stack them two deep.  We (PNLTC) also have a few tables that are ~40"
x ~80.  The larger size gives you a pretty good amount of space for a
standalone layout, but is not as easy to transport.  I like the 30x60 since
they are easy enough to move around, yet big enough to get a layout on.  We've
also started putting standard metal folddown legs on each table to cut down on
our setup time at shows.

Hope this helps.

Ben Fleskes
PNLTC