 Town / 7877
MOC: Brikington Manor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.arch
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 01:40:49 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Brikington Manor
(or: How I Spent All My Money on Tiles)

Finally! After two weeks of continuous photography, uploading, and wading through a diheartening Brickshelf meltdown the Brikington Manor gallery is finally complete:

Brikington Manor is a large Victorian-style Mansion, built to minifig-scale, with more than 20 (20!) fully furnished (in grand 1920s style) interior rooms. The design is modular, so that each room can be removed or added to the level as needed.

The floor plans (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=104464) of the first and second floor, plus the exterior design, are based on authentic blueprints. I extrapolated for the third floor and basement.

There are a number of features worth pointing out. Among them are:

• A folder full of house furnishing MOCs, including a functional armoire, a functional hutch, three different bed design, an old-style phone, a SNOT-style corner fireplace design, and lots more: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=103753

• A steam-powered engine mounted in the cellar which, when fueled with coal, reveals a hidden door in the stone wall (Quicktime Movies available): http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=102796

• Bulkhead doors for access to the cellar from the grounds: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=971573

• Round rooms! Using the now-familiar 1x3 brick-1x1 round brick technique, the two rooms in the tower were fashioned with round walls:

• The walls of the Manor are offset from the stone/cement foundation by 1/2 stud: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=971574

• One room, in keeping with the storyline behind the Manor, has been completely overgrown with tropical plantlife: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=104459

• There’s also an Alchemist’s laboratory on the third floor, a secret Occult Ritual chamber buried underground, a large farmer’s porch wrapping around the front of the house, and a widow’s walk accessible by ladder from the third floor gallery hall.

Brikington Manor has been under construction since February 2004. It was created for a Halloween-themed Brikwars game which took place on 23 October 2004. For suspence the rooms were only added to the layout as the characters entered them.

Also, please make sure to check out the credits! I drew a great deal of inspiration from the amazing works of countless others, several of whom I’ve tried to specifically recognize.

Please LMKWYT

.s