 Technic / Bionicle / 1226
Re: LEGO in Washington Post
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:57:28 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Mark Sandlin writes:
Dave Johann at hardcoredj@techie.com wrote:

Limiting on creativity? Wow! I guess you haven't been reading .build.mecha
lately. Mech builders continually strive to push the limits of creativity • well
beyond what the pieces sold to us are usually used for. Two of the best
examples
of this were posted in the past few days-Mladen Pejic's mecha-Tortoise and
Mark
Sandlin's LM-5 Aerial Assault Mecha.

I appreciate the nod, but I used absolutely no Buy-onicle parts whatsoever
in my latest mecha. I used the ball and socket bits from C-3P0, and I used
two ball bits that I chopped off the end of those useless throwbot arms.
(Egad!)

"useless throwbot arms"

That's exactly what Dave was saying not to do. Why destroy a piece when you can
work around it? I didn't have to chop off any pieces from my Bionicle
ball-joint arms; I incorporated them into the design. Isn't that the true
spirit of LEGO, otherwise wouldn't we start modifying ever piece that causes us
frustration.

Of course people aren't going to buy Bionicle or Throwbots when they hear that
the only way people use the pieces is by chopping them up! LEGO too should
maybe give more examples of the positive uses of the parts in other themes,
then maybe more kids would want the sets. Just my opinion, personally, I don't
regret buying two Bionicle sets (Pohatu) because I've (suprise, SHOCK!)
*actually* used most of the pieces (without destroying them!).

Mladen Pejic, over and out!
http://www3.sympatico.ca/mladenpejic/

In a related rant, I noticed that Mega Bloks have three new Block Bots on
the shelves. Each one comes with a Bot and a companion animal/beast. Yeah, I
know the quality isn't there, but when you hold up a $20 Block Bot and a $20
Mars mech thing, the Block Bot looks like something a kid would be much more
impressed with.

~Grand Admiral Muffin Head