 Technic / Bionicle / 1220
Re: LEGO in Washington Post
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 07:20:33 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Harvey Henkelman writes:
Despite LEGO® releasing the new classic and legend sets, I can't help but
feel that they are continuing to slip away from their winning formula used
from the beginning. The Bionicle stuff is total limitation on one's
creativity (at least in my opinion) I know that had Bionicle been marketed
to us in 1986, my then 11 year-old self would have sneered at LEGO® for
making sets which 'don't fit in with my other stuff'. Too bad that kids are
hooked on drugs, video games, and five-minute fads these days, which really
serve to cut the attention span. This, combined with the erosion of our
public school system- are creating a generation of kids bearing names of
people such as Harris and Klebold and the like. If I remember right,
video/computer games and inattentiveness on the part of the parents and
school were sited as an influence leading to the shottings at Columbine, not
LEGO®. We NEVER had school shootings when I was growing up, please forgive
my seemingly pointless ranting. -Harvey

Interesting rant Harvey, but I take offense to a couple of things you mention in
it.

I can't help but
feel that they are continuing to slip away from their winning formula used
from the beginning.

If their formula had continued to be a winning one throughout the '90s, Lego
would have continued to use it. I prefer to look at it as 'they held on as long
as they could before needing to change to something that produced profits'.

The Bionicle stuff is total limitation on one's
creativity (at least in my opinion) I know that had Bionicle been marketed
to us in 1986, my then 11 year-old self would have sneered at LEGO® for
making sets which 'don't fit in with my other stuff'.

Limiting on creativity? Wow! I guess you haven't been reading .build.mecha
lately. Mech builders continually strive to push the limits of creativity well
beyond what the pieces sold to us are usually used for. Two of the best examples
of this were posted in the past few days-Mladen Pejic's mecha-Tortoise and Mark
Sandlin's LM-5 Aerial Assault Mecha.

Regarding the 'sets which don't fit in' remark, I'll assume there is no Technic
in your household, though it isn't needed to hook up to Bionicle in the first
place. I'd rather see more well made Bionicle than yet another technic vehicle.

Just my $.02
Sorry about my rant.

-Dave Johann
LUGNET Member #524