 Technic / 5795
Re: Two silly items
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 22:40:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
"Dave Johann" <legomecha@home.com> wrote in message

Fair enough. Leave the Bionicle to those of use who find them useful, • then. I
promise to leave the metroliners alone. Better a small, low cost technic • set
with useful new parts than another overpriced old train with the same • useless
parts anyway.

I guess I don't find custom-moulded parts useful or in upkeep with the LEGO
brand name. I can't recomend to any co-workers or adult friends with
children to "Go buy Technic, it will make your kid smart". Now I have to say
"Don't buy LEGO, it's gone to crap. Unless you can afford a $300 MindStorms
kit..." and most of them are unwilling to pay that much.

My favourite sets?

Technic Universal (1990-1995).

Nothing pleased me more than going in to Toys R Us and seeing box after box
with the beautiful, Arial font saying "Universal" on the front. Espically
when they had the lift-up flap. If it had the flap, you KNEW you were geting
an exciting set. Filled with familiar, comforting parts.

Not organic, horrid looking alien things.

   Iain

Agreed. The highlight of Technic were the Universal sets, but they aren't made
anymore so we need to deal with that. Using the new Technic parts to the best of
our ability might not be as relaxing as building with the older stuff, but I
personally would prefer to 'push the envelope' anyway. Using new parts allows us
to create new things rather than re-hashing the same old ideas over and over.
Technic originally drove me away because only cars, planes, and trucks were the
only sets offered. What I would have given for a Space Shuttle back in '90! I
don't think I would have had a dark ages if cool things like that existed back
then. Heck, even the 8446 Crane Truck from a couple of years back would have
been enough. Cool parts, a great main model...what more can you ask for?

-Dave