 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2339
Re: Two silly items
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 22:30:53 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets writes:

Fair enough. Leave the Bionicle to those of use who find them useful, then. I
promise to leave the metroliners alone. Better a small, low cost technic set
with useful new parts than another overpriced old train with the same useless
parts anyway.

-Dave

Overpriced Train set???  Useless parts....Whoa....back the truck up.

I don't see the big craze with Bionical, and if you are big into lego mecha,
I would find that the TOA sets and the LOM mecha sets are pretty good.
I wouldn't associate the smaller "village leader" sets or the McDonald's
promo sets, as useful as you would allude to....that being said, I
still stick with the idea that the aliens that Iain finds so offensive, do
have some nice qualities....
imagine this image one or two of these "creatures" playing on the beach
throwing the "frisbee" to eachother...it is a very endeering image.

Personally, I find the set very soothing to play with.  Light Grey is such
a relaxing color, the train going around a round loop is very catatonic....

Benjamin Medinets

Perhaps I should explain what I meant by overpriced train set. I have yet to see
a train set priced in the $25-$30 range that was 'ready to go'. I've rarely
purchased any set that retails for more than $50 based on the principle that no
toy should cost that much. Last time I checked, I could probably piece together
a working train set for around $70, but it would be a bare bones set at best.

Let's try the same price range for the Bionicle sets. The McDonalds sets have
some useful Technic parts for less than $1. The Turuga sets can sat the same
thing for $3. The Toa are immensely useful (articulation-wise) at $7. The two
Rahi sets that retail for less than $40 are less useful, but still provide a
significant number of technic beams. The larger sets are slightly overpriced,
but they have a 'coolness' factor that appeals to today's children, so I guess
that is the trade-off.

I fully agree that light grey is a soothing color, but I'd prefer that the parts
weren't so train-centric so they could be used in other ways. I have yet to see
MOCs that use train parts in creative non-train ways. Rail is rail, or so the
train builders make us believe. Technic is anything you want it to be. I'll take
a bad Technic set over a good train set anyday.

-Dave