 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2337
Re: Two silly items
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:29:15 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
Nothing pleased me more than going in to Toys R Us and seeing box after box
with the beautiful, Arial font saying "Universal" on the front. Espically
when they had the lift-up flap. If it had the flap, you KNEW you were geting
an exciting set. Filled with familiar, comforting parts.

Not organic, horrid looking alien things.

A question I've long pondered (well, okay, not really THAT long.) is that
perhaps we think all these new sets aren't great because we got used to not
necessarily better but different sets.  Like large A frame cars (Lincolns,
Cadillacs etc) were "normal" and "familiar" to your average American driver
about 30 years ago.  Wood panelling and chrome trim excess.  When the oil
crisis hit the 70's, small imports started to come into North America.  What
we consider a normal car today (like a Honda Civic or a Toyota Echo) is
probably not normal.  Sooner or later, most of those people who liked large
cars literally have died off-GM has stopped production of several of these
platforms and brands specifically for this reason.  I choose this example
because it seems to be the exact opposite-I don't think anyone in Generation
X or Generation Y for that matter particularily cares for old large cars.

Perhaps one day there won't be people who remember or care for those great
sets we liked so much?  Maybe people who get into Lego now will think
Bionicle is "normal" for them.  Maybe we're wrong to think what's normal for
us is normal for anyone else? :)

Calum