 Technic / 5605
Re: IR Controller in 8539 Manas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:23:35 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Does this mean that the set actually comes with a total of four (4)
external motor units?  Or does each IR-controller comprise two built
in motors each?

It's not obvious to me if "motor output" above means an electronic
socket to which a motor can be connected, or a cross axle hole which
is driven by an internal motor.  I'm guessing the latter, otherwise
the price of the set would probably have been too steep.

Two IR receivers, each has two built-in motors.

Quoted from John Barnes's post <http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=15809>
It is interesting that there are two power take-offs, one "through axle"
hole and "end axle" hole at each end of the unit. The two are differently
geared so you can choose higher speed or higher torque.

The gear ratio between the two types of connection points is about 5:2; The
"through axle" is the faster one.

And another question: Are the motor outputs (assuming they are
internal motors) placed so that it is easy to build something around
the unit?  I.e., is it easy to use the motor outputs in custom MOCs?
I'm curious to the usefulness of the IR units.

It is easy if you happen to be building a robot with two treads, or a robot
with two claws. :-)

On the plus side, the IR unit does get a lot of holes and sockets on it. I
don't like its curvey shape, though. (Why didn't Lego simply build it as a
rectangular brick, covered with grids of studs and holes all over? :-)

I'd say for MOC, it may be far less flexible than RCX, but certainly a lot
easier to work with than the bulky CyberMaster (in terms of structural
integration, not intelligence).

Fredrik

Hao-yang Wang