 Technic / 5581

Subject:
IR Controller in 8539 Manas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 05:20:08 GMT

My <set:8539>, back-ordered from Lego S@H, just arrived in mail. I have not
finished building the models yet.

The set comes with two IR controllers, as well as two receivers. Each IR
units take 3 AA batteries, so you need 12 batteries in total.

Each IR receiver has two motor outputs. On the controller there are four
buttons, controlling the forward and the reverse motion of the two motors.

The receivers can be configured to receive from one of the three channels.
Similarly the controllers can be configured to send using one of the three
channels, plus the "all" option to broadcast to all the channels at once. On
the channel changing dial, there is a socket to let you insert a Technic
axle into it. A nice touch.

Having been hoping for a Rokenbok-like toy, I admit to be a bit disappointed
to the limit of 2 motors per controller. Actually it is not that bad --
Combining the two controllers/receivers gives you four motors in total.
Already I am start thinking of all the interesting toys I can build out of
these IR units.

Cheers,
Hao-yang Wang

Re: IR Controller in 8539 Manas